Really Odd Sunburn, Kind Of Worried.

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 3:08am by xstitcher

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 16

My family went to the beach last Saturday and we all had sunblock on. (can only use one brand because of sunblock allergies in my kids. I used SPF 30 since that's the strongest the company makes) We where there for 2 hours. We all got a tiny bit sunburned except for my youngest son who will soon be 4. He is pale complected so I really slathered on the sunblock, but yet he's burned the worst of us. Now comes the odd part.

He's burned only on his back and only on the bottom right side of it.
It looks really odd too. It looks like he's very bright red with a 1/2 inch completely surrounding the red section that is very very dark tanned. He didn't blister at all.
Then there is this weird spot on his right shoulder blade that looks like a brown and red squiggle that's about 3inches long. Every where else is still pasty white which is his normal skin tone.
I have no idea why it would be in this very odd pattern. I've shown 4 people at work his back and they all said to take him to the doctor because they have never seen anything like this and it doesn't look normal.
I've spent an hour looking for information and still haven't found anything that looks close to what he has.

Keep in mind today is TH. and we were at the beach Sat. He still cringes when I touch his back ever so slightly and it's still bright red.
I'm calling the doc. tomorrow morning. Was wondering if any of you have any ideas on why or what could be going on.

15 replies
veejaytx Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 16

Could he have touched/been touched by some sort of fish or sea life?

Sounds definitely like you should have him checked out by the doctor, especially since it is still sensitive or hurts him to be touched.

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 16

I was thinking the same thing too but my DH reminded me that Cameron only went up to his knees in the water, and probably spent a total of 5 minutes in it.

I'm just really confused by it.

veejaytx Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 16

That is really strange, but it would worry me too. Having a doctor check it out is the only thing I can think of to figure it out. Hope the little guy isn't too uncomfortable!

Please let us know what you find out.

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 16

I'll tell you *if I'm able to get an appointment* tomorrow.

I took pictures but don't have them downloaded to my computer yet.
I've never seen anything like it.

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 16

I'm glad you're chekcing wiht a doctor. Even if it turns out to be nothing, at least you KNOW as opposed to wondering.

Some skin will pigment differently. My daughter (oldest one, now 30) has a spot on her chest that doesn't do anything. doesn't tan, doesn't burn, just stays white. She can be red as a lobster or tanned as a bodybuilder and she has this white "splotch" on her chest. It's only the size of a quarter but it's weird looking.

Deb_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 16

Did the weird squiggly just appear or has it been there since the weekend?

Sometimes when I'm not careful when applying high spf sunscreen I end up with weird shapes that I either missed or rubbed off by mistake. He may have had an itch and scratched that spot, removing the sunscreen with his nail in that pattern.

Hopefully that's all it is, but better to be safe and have him checked out.

The other area sounds like it's beginning to turn into a tan from a sunburn which would explain the brown area.

Poor little guy......there are some very good "after sun" aloe products that are soothing when applied to a sunburn. I know you mentioned that he has some allergies so not sure if this would be an option for him.

Good luck, I hope the Dr. will see him tomorrow.

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 16

It does look like it's trying to go into a tan but it's only in that 1/4 spot on his back. It's also very dark brown. Think pale Irish boy everywhere but on that 1/4 spot a very dark Latino skin tone.

Hopefully, it's just turning into a tan though.

gailsgoodies Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 16

Just a thought, was it windy at the beach? Could it be a wind burn or maybe sand blowing on him where he played?

Good luck at the drs. tomorrow. Please let us know what they say.

Gail

thems_my_kids Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Some skin will pigment differently. My daughter (oldest one, now 30) has a spot on her chest that doesn't do anything. doesn't tan, doesn't burn, just stays white. She can be red as a lobster or tanned as a bodybuilder and she has this white "splotch" on her chest. It's only the size of a quarter but it's weird looking.

Wonder if that's a birthmark? I have a spot like that on my thigh, stays white no matter what.

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 16

wasn't able to get an appointment today so I'll have to wait till Monday.
Hopefully, it will look better by then and I can cancel the appointment. We have crappy insurance.

gailsgoodies Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #12 of 16

Good luck! We'll be saying prayers, please keep us posted.

Gail

gailsgoodies Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

wasn't able to get an appointment today so I'll have to wait till Monday.
Hopefully, it will look better by then and I can cancel the appointment. We have crappy insurance.

How's your little one? Did you go to the dr or did it go away?

Gail

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #14 of 16

Hope everything went well at the dr.'s. Let us know how your little guy is doing.

mkolmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #15 of 16

Well, he's doing a lot better. I ended up not taking him to the doctor because it faded more and now there is little red as compared to the dark tan look. It still looks really weird, but it isn't hurting him anymore.
Had it still been hurting and bright red I would have for sure taken him.
So it took about 2 weeks to really start to heal and it's not done yet.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The mom in me wasn't sure what to think about all of it.

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #16 of 16

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%