Keep My Bc From Sliding Off Of The Side Of My Cake.....

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm by tonedna

Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 12

If you look in my photos look at the giant cupcake. I figured out the structure problem....sps to the rescue!! Anyway, my bc started sliding off of the sides of the top. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening. I crumbcoated and then applied the swirls ontop of that with the 2D tip. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!! TIA!!!

11 replies
Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 12

bump....

tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 12

What kind of buttercream are you using?...Are you pressing it enough to the cake when you put yout buttercream? Do you you use a spatula or a bag?

patticakesnc Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 12

Maybe the cut shape of it? It seems to go down further than most I have seen. The others I have seen the sides come up higher so there is less of a slope. Also you can try thickening your icing more. With the slope of this I personally wouldn't use a crusting buttercream or if you do don't let them crumb coat crust so that your final icing has something to bond to.

Hope it helps.

tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Maybe the cut shape of it? It seems to go down further than most I have seen. The others I have seen the sides come up higher so there is less of a slope. Also you can try thickening your icing more. With the slope of this I personally wouldn't use a crusting buttercream or if you do don't let them crumb coat crust so that your final icing has something to bond to.

Hope it helps.

I am i need to disagree with you patty icon_redface.gif ..Is not cause crusting buttercream. We do this typi of cupcakes all the time at the shop and we use crusting buttercream.
Edna

Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 12

Edna, I used a spatula for the crumb coat and then piped onto that. My BC is 6.5oz hi ratio shortening, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp butter flavor, 1/2 tsp almond, 3/4-1 tsp creme bouquet, 1/2 cup water, 2lbs powdered sugar. Does that help at all?? icon_redface.gif

patticakesnc Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Hope it helps.

I am i need to disagree with you patty icon_redface.gif ..Is not cause crusting buttercream. We do this typi of cupcakes all the time at the shop and we use crusting buttercream.
Edna

I haven't done the big cupcake but the shape of hers is more sloped than any of the other ones that I have seen so I wasn't really sure if the final icing could hold onto a crusted crumb coat at the angle hers is. Most of the "tops" of the cupcake cakes do not come down quite as far that is why I suggested that.

But that's fine. I don't mind disagreeing icon_biggrin.gif That is how we learn LOL.

tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 12

I am wondering if you piped too much icing on the top the cake..That's the Wilton cupcake...right?
Edna icon_smile.gif

PS..patty..I just dont like to put you on the spot either..I know we do those all the time..icon_wink.gif

Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #9 of 12

No, I didn't use the wilton pan cuz I'm too cheap to buy it!!! icon_redface.gif It's 6in rounds on bottom and 8in rounds ontop, carved a little bit to round the corners. There's a cake circle between the different sizes.

I think I did pipe a little bit more on top than on the sides just to make it a little more rounded. Would that be the problem? Do I need to put piping gel or something ontop of the crumbcoat before I pipe the swirls? Or maybe not let the crumbcoat crust?

tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #10 of 12

In my thoughts the problem is on the weight of the icing. If you put to much icing, it really doesnt matter wich type of icing you use, it will slide. Ypu are working against gravity and the top does look a bit heavy on buttercream...

Edna

Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 12

I hope this isn't a stupid question....If I'm piping swirls on, how do I make it less heavy but it still looks "swirly"? Does that make sense?? icon_redface.gif Do I still crumbcoat?

tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 12

Well..for what I see..the way you cut the cupcake, you have a big top, wich makes it top heavy, defying gravity already...You can actually, cut the top part with less cake hanging and the swirls will give you the extra shape you are looking for..
Check the Wilton one to see what I am talking about..They dont have a big topper..I hope I am explaining this right..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%