Need Help With A Wedding Cake

Decorating By dmhart Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:13am by xstitcher

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 14

This is a picture of a wedding cake a bride has sent to me, the picture isn't a very good picture to be able to see the details. But I need help with how to do the details on the top tier and the details on the bottom tier. I am not sure what was used to do the scroll work in the corners on the top tier. Also what do I do for a pretty silver color? Any help will be appreciated so much.
LL

13 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 14

You're right the pic is kind of hard to see. The detail on the top tier looks as if it was done with a stencil. The bottom tier just looks like piping.

In the past I've used silver or gold luster dust mixed w/vodka or lemon ext and painted it on. It does take more then 1 coat to get decent coverage though so maybe someone will have another idea.

Good luck,
Deb icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 14

The bottom looks like vines which would be pretty easy. The top, I would take your square pan and practice makeing scrolls on it until you get a similar look, then do the cake, the silver might be silver luster dust, I dont know if they make silver fondant, if they do, its that with a luster dust brushed over it for the satin effect. Thats what I think it might be, Im sure there are better experts who can figure it out better than myself!

dmhart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 14

Those ideas sound good. I was thinking piping on the bottom tier but wasn't sure because of the picture. I am going with that on it. I am going to look for a stencil like on the top tier but I think I may practice like you said bakingatthebeach on my square pan and see what I get.

I was leaning to silver luster dust myself but I feel better hearing it from other too. Thanks bakingatthebeach and Deb for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 14

Debbie, if you look to the right of this screen every once in a while an ad comes up for stencils from Global Sugar Art, you may be able to find one there.

Oh, now the ad is on the top of the page icon_confused.gif It keeps moving around! icon_biggrin.gif

dmhart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 14

You know what I have seen that and didn't even think to check it out. Thanks I will check there, I bet they will have something that will work. I told the bride the scroll work would not be exact due to the picture. But I would be able to do something close. I feel sure I can find something that would come close or work just as well. Thanks Deb!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #7 of 14

If you look at my hatbox on top of my suitcase, I used a cheap stencil I got at Michael for like 2.50 and it worked fine. This way you can practice before purchasing and expensive one, and if it works ok for you, you dont have to purchase an expensive one.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:16am
post #8 of 14

Looks like everythings been piped (top tier is just more intricate and a stencil or even a stamp/impression mat type thingy wood work). I would assume that they used either BC or RI to do it. If you right click on the image and select copy image and then paste it in a program such as Word then you will be able to enlarge it. The pic is still a bit fuzzy but at least it's a bigger fuzzy icon_lol.gif

The 2nd tier appears to be piped dots in flower shape with a dragee in the middle. Also looks like they added a few dragees in the bottom layer as well.

Something similar to this on the 3rd tier (single layer one):

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=22299&category_id=263

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:05am
post #9 of 14

Hi, I'm not a piping girl, so can't help you on that, but I have recently done a cake using edible silver paint which was really easy to use and came out well, I didn't want to add it too thickly or have brush marks so i dabbed it on using a small bit of sponge before adding it to the cake (Link at bottom). I also used it on the Hannah Montana Guitar Cake in my pics.. here is a link to the product on ebay who post worldwide.. can't seem to find it on a US website. Hope it helps! - I also found using a bit of rejuvenator spirit helped to thin the product down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sugarflair-SILVER-edible-metallic-paint-icing-colouring_W0QQitemZ260358592229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ?hash=item260358592229&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Ps - can't seem to get the attachment to attach, so here is a link to the picture... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325771

dmhart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:52am
post #10 of 14

anabelz01, thanks for the tip about the edible silver paint, I am checking into that. BTW, your cakes are amazing, love them!! icon_biggrin.gif I do like the look for the silver paint.

xstitcher, I had forgot about cakesbysam.com, I have been to that site before. I do have a question about RI, the cake will be iced in bc if I let it crust real well can I use RI for my piping? I have heard that RI will break down on bc, but I have also heard that if the BC has crusted real well it won't. I have been to scared to try it.

I made sure the customer understood her cake would be an inspiration from this picture so some of the detailing would not be exact but the overall design would be the same. I am leaving out the "3rd" tier on that cake, the thin layer, She only need to feed about 75 people. I am doing a single top tier boxed for her to keep.

Thanks for "ya'll's" help!! thumbs_up.gif [/code]

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #11 of 14

I think the corner scrollwork on the top tier looks a lot like one of the purple corner imprinters by Wilton. It comes in a set.

xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I think the corner scrollwork on the top tier looks a lot like one of the purple corner imprinters by Wilton. It comes in a set.

I thought that too Leahs, but then when I enlarged the pic it looked more intricate than the wilton press set. Since you mentioned it as well I went back and looked at Wilton's (on-line) and enlarged it too and it looks identical to it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFMXD/?tag=cakecentral-20

I know your not going to do the 3rd tier but that scroll appears to be from this set as well.

If you go to Michael's you should be able to pick it up pretty cheap with their coupons.

dmhart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #13 of 14

I have that set of imprints from wiltons. I thought it looked more detailed, but xstitcher I looked at your link to amazon and it is the exact one. That is so weird, I would have never thought. Well that worked out great. Thanks ladies, I feel kinda stupid. icon_redface.gif Oh well at least I have what I need. thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

I have that set of imprints from wiltons. I thought it looked more detailed, but xstitcher I looked at your link to amazon and it is the exact one. That is so weird, I would have never thought. Well that worked out great. Thanks ladies, I feel kinda stupid. icon_redface.gif Oh well at least I have what I need. thumbs_up.gif

Glad you found everything you need, good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%