Help Me! I Made A Stupid Mistake!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 2:45am by BlondiezBakery

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 12

Ok..so I am doing a topsy turvy. I carved the top of my bottom layer to match up with 2nd of the bottom layer.

Well...then, like an idiot I went and carved it down further....

So...I now have a 2nd layer cake with a 10" bottom that is supposed to fit into a 12" hole!

What do you recommend!?!

11 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone!?! I really do need help on this...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 12

Well that's one reason I don't use that method of making those cakes.
Do you have cake scraps? Make a paste of cake crumbs and icing to fill in the excess of the hole.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 12

Having never done a TT, I am not going to be much help. I just didn't want to be one more person to read and not respond. What does the design look like? Is there any way you can put fondant balls for a border and do a couple rows of them? Fill in the gap with icing maybe?

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 12

Blondie,
I would put the cake on there. Make sure it is doweled well then smooth/fill as best as possible with bc. I would then add a larger decorative border to camoflage. I don't know the design of the cake, but that is the best I can come up with.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 12

I would fill it in with cake scraps or even better, Toba Garret's cake spackle. It's a paste of cake crumbs, filling - e.g. jam, ganache - and frosting. The spackle should be firm but spreadable, like cold oatmeal. It sounds gross but it's yummy! Tastes like unfrosted cake balls. Use it to fill in the gap between the upper tier and the hole. Chill the stacked cakes until firm enough to work with. Your dowels should keep the stack stable.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 12

I would suggest the same as kakeladi did...then, with your b/c, run a 'tube' border around the area and smooth it with a small angled spatula...if it's a crusting b/c...use the Viva method on it to finish smoothing the 'patch' job...if it's a non-crusting, chill the entired cake, then use the small angled spatula to scrape smooth the 'patch' job. Good luck!

BlondiezBakery Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the help. The cake paste would have been a great idea, but I didn't do it. b/c I just got back on the comp after decorating. icon_sad.gif

What I did do....(not really a fix). I draped the fondant over the gaps, and didn't emphasis the hole. I am hoping that without the emphasis it won't be noticable.

Also, I am thinking I will use some large border in the end.

Kakeladi...what method do you use? This is all I have ever done, because I am too spooked just stacking w/o the divets.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #9 of 12

I've only made (I think it was) 2 TT cakes. One was w/the cut out as you did. It fell icon_sad.gif The next one I just tapered the tiers and tilted the top only.
It's in my photos.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 12

If you were able to cover it, as long as the gap doesn't make it less stable, I'm sure it's fine.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 12

I would take a piping bag and fill the hole and smooth it down....As long as the cake is well supported and lying on a flat surface, it should be ok.
Edna icon_smile.gif

BlondiezBakery Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #12 of 12

Kakeladi...what made it fall!?!

Mine is all assembled and looks pretty good so far. I used SugarShack's method of stacking. So, I used something like 8-11 straws to support the bottom tier plus the cake board. Then on the second tier I used 6 straws and a cake board. Then, I just drove a wooden dowel through the whole thing. I hope it holds!

There is a small gap between tiers 2 and 3...but I think I am just going to use a fondant rope border. This is a funky black and white cake with 'fun' decorations...so anything goes!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%