How Rude!!!!....

Decorating By steffla Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm by cylstrial

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #31 of 50

Was it Nancy Reagan who taught us to "Just say no!"?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #32 of 50

icon_razz.gif

tiffanyp23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanyp23 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:40am
post #33 of 50

Ok, so if she originally needs a cake for 40 and now only wants one for 30, does that mean she's inviting 10 less ppl to the party? If so, then that means less $ spent at the restaurant and that equals more $ to spend on cake. Or is she just gonna flake at the party and stiff 10 ppl on their piece of cake? icon_confused.gif

Either way I say she's just a big jerk, and good for you for sticking to your guns thumbs_up.gif

BTW, I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread icon_redface.gif , but here's proof you don't have to spend $1000 to have a great 1st bday
LL

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:46am
post #34 of 50

Great picture and great point - imagine what this lady would do if her kid dug in like that at this fancy restaurant on his birthday. Honestly, I spend a lot (too much) on my kids' birthdays and go way overboard - but I get the cake for "free" icon_wink.gif (I make it). But what's a 1 yaer old going to do in a fancy restaurant with a maitre d'? Frankly, they're probably overcharging her because they think she's nuts and they don't really want a first birthday party in their restaurant! She sound like a loon!

I'd graciously (holding in the sarcasm) tell her that you're sure her birthday party (because it's not really her kid's party) and her vacation will both be wonderful "no matter what [she] decides" and give her the drop dead date for when she needs to confirm if she wants the big custom cupcake and for how many people.

I'm pretty sure she'll cough up the $100 in the end. She might whine some more but ignore her. When she's on the beach for her fabulous vacation (which is something WE wont be doing any time soon either!!!), she'll get over it.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #35 of 50

You could tell her that you're sure her guests will understand if she can't have/afford a custom cake at her party and instead has to purchase a store bought cake.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:21pm
post #36 of 50

pamconn icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tiffanyp awesome pic!!!!!!

tiffanyp23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanyp23 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #37 of 50

Thanks Clovely and Steffia! icon_smile.gif If you can't tell, I'm a proud momma icon_biggrin.gif

Pamconn icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
mmm, yummy, gourmet dinner and cardboard cake for me too please thumbs_up.gif

steffla Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #38 of 50

The sad part is that so many people are used to the store cakes that it doesnt even seem insulting! They are perfectly content with a gourmet meal and walmart cake!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #39 of 50

You know, we all love making great cakes and take pride in it, and its important to us.......I bet that biyotch could care less........its all about her, not the poor kid who does not even know what cake is yet....write her off.........stick to your guns and tell her to go buy a Walmart cake, thats what she deserves icon_evil.gif

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #40 of 50

I wouldn't worry about it. People like that are insufferable and wonder why the economy is going downhill. It's like they live in their own bubble. If it was a legitimate reason then I can understand that but she put her foot into her mouth when she told you why and then added fuel to the fire.

Even if it would lessen the profits by far, if it was a really good friend that I knew was true in what they said then I wouldn't think twice about it unless it kept happening.

Personally I don't even see the point is throwing the child a 1st birthday party. Sure it's cute and memorable but when they're older like they really want to look at your home pictures and videos of them throwing themselves into a giant cake? I know I'd be mortified.

I'd be more worried about giving my kids that much sugar than anything else... but that's just me. icon_cry.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #41 of 50

Stick to your prices!!! They don't want to pay....they can go to the grocery store icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

steffla Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #42 of 50

So she just wrote to me to inquire about my cake truffles????????????!!!!!!!

I have no idea if she is thinking about these instead of the cake or suddenly thinks that since her cake price is lower, there is room to add some truffles!!!! Unreal!!

----And thanks everyone!!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #43 of 50

If I didn't know better, I'd think we lived in the same area because I dealt with a girl just like her back last September. I did a stand-up Belle doll cake with a 12x18 sheet cake underneath for the "dance floor." I was only going to charge her $75.00 (for what actually was a $150.00 cake) because she was a "friend" of a friend. She tried to cheat me out of the money and finally sent me a check for $25.00 ~ it took me 3 months, but I ended up getting the rest of the money. I then nicely told her never to order cake from me again.
At that time we were also having extreme financial hardships ~ so I completely understand and feel for you.

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:29am
post #44 of 50

Tell her - Costco - thats where she needs to buy! Hoping you'll get better customers next time....Good luck

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:32am
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

People really spend that kind of money for a birthday party??? WOW!! Then freak out over $100 cake! Confused

Yes they do....in fact, I have seen posts from ppl that have spend over 100K for a 1 year old party!! Take Tom Cruise....her party cost over 100k and the cake alone was $10k...I saw a pic of it, from a really well known decorator in their area(can't remember his name) and I was just shocked!

Not only was that cake not worth 10k, it wasn't even worth 100 dollars!! It was so simple that anyone could do it, and I didn't think it was very well done for that matter either....I just don't understand the mentality of ppl that think this type of over extravagance is justified or logical....I mean come on...a 1 year old is happy with a cuppie and a sippy!! icon_razz.gif, and they won't remember it anyways!!!

Your "friend" sounds like she is just another one of this type of thoughtless folks that don't have a clue how real people live. Just tell her no, and don't give it another thought...you have enough to worry about girl!!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #46 of 50

Wow! Some ppl have no clue...She had $1000 budget and is going on vaction LA...DI...DAAAAAAHHHH You have family to feed! Grrrrr That makes me MAD!!!! icon_mad.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:24am
post #47 of 50

This lady is just like my cousin! She just called me last week to order her grandson's birthday cake and cupcakes. I know her well enough to remind her that my stuff is made from scratch with fresh butter, eggs, etc and every cake is unique--that's why mine cost more.

Bingo! The cost more part is what catches her ear. Custom? Unique? Hey as long as the Jones' down the road don't have it she WANTS IT FIRST. She will still snivel about the price, but she can't resist the thought of one-upping someone.

I hope someone else calls you with a large order that is a whole lot nicer and appreciates your lovely work.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:20am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

So she just wrote to me to inquire about my cake truffles????????????!!!!!!!

I have no idea if she is thinking about these instead of the cake or suddenly thinks that since her cake price is lower, there is room to add some truffles!!!! Unreal!!

----And thanks everyone!!

I have to say that I hate calling those cake balls "truffles," because they're not truffles! I want chocolate when someone tells me I'm getting a truffle!

Aside from that, she's a beeyotch to call and ask you about that. Tell her that the cake balls are now $3.50 each, special pricing for birthday parties icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(If she doesn't like that, you can suggest that she calls Godiva, where they do sell real truffles for somewhere around $3.50 each.) icon_twisted.gif

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #49 of 50

I've been reading through this thread and am reminded of a woman who I dealt with not too long ago.
She called me approx 2 weeks before her event. We discussed what she wanted (a princess castle cake). She said that she would get back to me. I told her I needed at least one week notice (I'm a nurse and try to work around my schedule). 5 days before the "big day" I get an email from her. She wants to order the cake and add another cake to the order. icon_eek.gif
Oh, and I'm scheduled to work the day that she wants the cakes...too late now for me to try and switch my schedule around. So I email her back and say that this is the price of the cakes, "plus a $20 delivery fee and for people who order from me with less than a weeks notice I charge an extra $50. " (I really don't do that but it upset me that she wanted to order on such short notice). She emailed me back and said "$50?? but I ordered from you when I spoke to you on the phone" I emailed her back and stated that "no, you said you would get back to me" I'm sorry but I won't be able to help you out with your cakes on such short notice. She emailed back that she knew someone else who only needed 3 days notice. Fine...perhaps I need too much notice but I don't do this full time. Really just for a creative outlet and some "me time" while the kids and the hubby are asleep icon_lol.gif
The point of this long, rambling post, is to say...You don't have to accept every customer out there. Stick to your prices. If they really want the cake then they'll pay the price that you quote them.
On a personal note, I'm really sorry to hear about your financial struggles. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #50 of 50

Just blow her off. People are just insane. Always thinking of themselves. If she can't afford you, that's her problem!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%