How Rude!!!!....

Decorating By steffla Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm by cylstrial

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 50

So I just need to vent a second. A customer placed an order from me, not her first, and she is a friend of my sisters. During her first order a few months back, I swore I would never make another cake for her as she kept trying to increase the design and lower the price. I know she is very comfortable financially so I was irritated but chalked it up to a personality thing.

So this time she wants a cake to go with the "my lil cupcake" first birthday design from www.birthdayexpress.com. Simple. She wants a giant cupcake. She ordered for 40 and I told her $120 to sculpt a carved cupcake with the 'ridged' style cupcake wrapper in fondant made to match her decorations.

She wrote to me today and asked how much if she lowered it to 30 servings? I said I couldnt do it for less than $100 since it is a specialty, carved design and would require a decent amount of cake. I said if it was too expensive I would not be offended if she decided not to order.
Well..... she writes with this long explanation about how her $1000 budget is already blown for this 1ST BIRTHDAY PARTY at this fancy restaurant!!! AND ....she wouldnt mind spending more normally but they are going on vacation soon so she might not!!!! HOW RUDE!!! I should work for pennies so your vacation isnt ruined? I have 3 small kids and it would be at least 3 days work spread out. I am sorry but my time is worth something! The nerve,,,,just say its out of my budget but dont give me the $1000 plus vacation story!!! What's wrong with people?!

49 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 50

That's her problem! Maybe she can go to Costco and get some heinous dry cupcakes to go with her theme and keep her money in her pocket. Yuck.

Or tell her that Hostess cupcakes would go with the cupcake theme, and they're really cheap, like she is icon_biggrin.gif

steffla Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 50

LMAO!!! icon_lol.gif , thanks at least its not just me!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 50

People these days! Doesn't she realize that the economy is in the tank????

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 50

I would tell her that I totally understand where she is coming from and that I hope we can do business in the future when money is not an issue.

Ugggh! The nerve.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 50

She obviously doesn't know what it's like to work for a living!

steffla Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 50

Yes,but she thinks she IS struggling. She said, tell me about it, things are so hard. She couldnt believe they were charging her a maitre'd fee for her party but they treat every occasion like a wedding. And how dare they charge her extra for soda?????!!!

Am I seriously supposed to listen to this? Meanwhile, I really need this money!!! My husband is laid off and we are losing our home plus we have 3 small children. And she knows this!!!!! I am insulted that she chose to give me those reasons for her needing a lower price and maybe cancellation!!!!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 50

People really spend that kind of money for a birthday party??? WOW!! Then freak out over $100 cake! icon_confused.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 50

She has a lot of nerve!! Like pp said let her buy some from the store.

sari

skeet1zp Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 50

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. I will be sure and pray for you and your family. In the meantime, stick to your guns. Maybe she is testing you to see if you will cave. You are investing THREE days of your time and the price you are asking is more than reasonable. If she beats you down on the price this time, trust that she will do it again. You have all these problems and she's bi@#$#@# about paying for a party! She is very insensitive. She's also sounds like someone who wants to keep up with the Jones'es. People like that will complain, but she's too afraid of messing up her image to have less than the best.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 50

Some people have no common decency or tact. They are too wrapped up in their own lives to see past their own existence. You were probably right in your first opinion that you should not take business from her.

I wish you and your family luck in your struggles. God bless you and may you know that He will not give you problems you cannot handle.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 50

Just don't take it personally. These days it seems everyone wants something for next to nothing. Just stick to your guns. icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 50

Tell her that WalMart would do it for pennys.
You think she bargains with the airlines too since she's gone over the budget for her expensive vacations??
---'you think we can have 2 seats for the price of one? I can seat on my husband's lap...---
icon_biggrin.gif

skeet1zp Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 50

Nah, the airline would charge her for three seats, her, her husband, and her ego LOL!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 50

How annoying is that,costco is still in Business anyway.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 50

$1000 for a FIRST birthday! Like the child will remember! Wow! I'd be upset too! icon_surprised.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 50

[/quote]she writes with this long explanation about how her $1000 budget is already blown for this 1ST BIRTHDAY PARTY at this fancy restaurant!!![quote]

icon_evil.gif Boo-freaking-Hoo. Some people will never see past their own existence.

I hope for the best for your family in the situation you're dealing with. Look for that open window everytime a door shuts. It may be obscure, but it's there.

Lisa

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #18 of 50

That is SO crazy to me, but not surprising. I had a friend who I wokred for a few days. She needed to pay about $170, she said she didn't have the money to pay me. My husband had lost he job 2 months before, and we were living with a friend, cause we had just got evicted. And she was aware of all this, but she still can't pay me my money, in the mean time she is also TELLING ME how she needs to make sure to get AT LEAST ONE pair of GUCCI shoes with a MATCHING PURSE. Thats at least $3000, but she can't pay me my $170.

I'm sorry for all your going thow, I know what it feels like. Things will get better, remember that. I will keep you in prayer.

By the way, you should have charged her more. icon_wink.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 50

I had a similar experience not too long ago, someone was debating with me I said 60.00 for this cake they said their budget was 50.00 since they were already over because they spent 20.00 a piece for each 4 year old for the place they went to plus decorations.

Was I supposed to feel bad???????? Come on now, when you plan for a Birthday I thought the first thing was the CAKE????? Anyway , she came up to my price I REFUSED to knock off the 10.00 once I heard the excuse.

I may of given in before that though. I agree , Stick to your guns!!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

She ordered for 40 and I told her $120 to sculpt a carved cupcake with the 'ridged' style cupcake wrapper in fondant made to match her decorations.

She wrote to me today and asked how much if she lowered it to 30 servings?

Right here is where I go, oh yeah for 30 it's a $150. icon_biggrin.gif

This is really interesting. I've studied marketing a little for the bookstore and the psychology of it all is fascinating. I think in this case with that lady (and this is not a raise your prices lecture~but that's not a bad idea~God I can't help myself~bad Kate! bad Kate! icon_biggrin.gif ) But I'm just saying from the psychology of it~~that if the cake had a big ticket this chick would not have flinched an eyelash.

Can you just see that in her type? Something that costs a little isn't as desireable to her type as something that costs a lot.

Y'know what, CakeBuddy, you have nothing to loose here, cake-wise. But y'know what? I'd bait this little chickie. Like: "Hmmm, oh no that cake is very specially designed, very pricey." (as if you knew she couldn't pay it~especially since she backed out of this one crying poor.). Then give her a bigger price--bet she bites on it like a fish on a hook.

But she knew she could squeeze you and I am very happy for you and proud of you that you stood your ground.

And I'm just running my mouth about the psychology of marketing--y'know I mean I know enough to be dangerous is all--don't mind me. But do you see the point of what type of person (I think) she is?

And I'm very very sorry for your family's troubles right now. I do pray that all will be well for you very soon.

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 50

She is just trying to get over because she is a friend of your sisters. If she went to a bakery she would pay the exact price that they quoted. Why should you be any different and really, what is $20? She is just being cheap and you deserve your $20 bucks!!!! Lets keep it real, who pays $1,000 for a 1st birthday party? This is not for the child but in reality its her party. She is just trying to put on a show and I bet her child cuts the fool at the party and will throw her portion of the $1,000 meal on the floor!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #22 of 50

wow...you girls should really be ashamed of yourselves....this poor woman is STRUGGLING with an awful budget!!!! how is she supposed make a party work on that??? What is a $1000.00 dollar party without a .50 cent cake???? !!!!!! hahahahahahaha
just ridiculous!!! i will keep you in prayers too....stay strong and don't you budge on the price....further more...you charged $20 too short....if i were pricing it would have been $140.00!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #23 of 50

I wouldn't call her rude. Ignorant dumb ass would be more to the point!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #24 of 50

Really? Please explain to her that whether that cake will feed 30 or 40 or 50, it is still the same amount of work. That's why specialty cakes are not always priced by the serving.

steffla Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #25 of 50

First of all, thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers!

Second, you guys crack me up! I am so glad I posted this because I feel so much better now! I agree about the type of person she is. She definitely is trying to get away with it because she is a 'friend' and before she found out about my cakes she ordered cakes from bakeries for her past few occasions for $200 + so its not like she doesnt get it. She just thinks I should 'help' her out because she has budget issues, lol.

Thanks for the lightheartedness and giggles!!! You guys are awesome! Now I hope she doesnt call back and order!

***by the way, adven68 I totally agree! Thats why I am mad I even changed it from $120 to $100 but that was before she explained why!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #26 of 50

Steffla, next time when she asks how much.....tell her its $150.00 for most but for her you have a special price of $250.00 hahahahahahaha

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #27 of 50

IF she should happen to call back to order, I would definitely tell her that you've thought about it and you really can't do the cake for less than $120 being how specially customized it is, and all. You should NOT let her get a discount. Next time, if she wants a cake for the 2nd birthday, take what you would normally charge and DOUBLE IT! icon_wink.gif

What a B!!! $1000 for a 1 year old. I feel sorry for the kid. I would have never had my 1 year old at such an event. Read anything you want and the suggestions are to keep it short and keep it simple to keep your child happy. I bet that baby cries through the whole thing!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #28 of 50

We had a big gathering for our daughter's first baby and she didn't cry through the whole thing. She slept mostly, and that was fine. The first party isn't for the kid anyways, and it's really nice to get the whole family together & lots of friends and why not accomplish a bday party at the same time? We rented a large park space, had a big bbq, and I made the most lavish 1 year old cake you've ever seen. It was a great day. Everyone oohed and aahed at the cute sleeping baby, and we were able to enjoy the family & friends. Her parties since have been in our backyard or at a picnic table at the park.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

She just thinks I should 'help' her out because she has budget issues, lol.

She has budget issues, alright, and a few others as well. icon_razz.gif

I agree that the party is NOT for the birthday girl. After all, what does the 1-year old probably want? A fancy meal with all of Mommy's friends, or a fistful of fun, bright frosting from a giant cupcake??

Definitely mark up your prices for her. Tell her your custom work is in high demand and you just can't do it for less than (insert something extra pricey here). That will make her ego tingle...

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #30 of 50

I hear of some on CC that charge an extra fee for those that decide last minute also. You know you ARE in high demand icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%