Vent - Boys Cakes

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm by clovely

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 22

So disappointed again, just spent the evening doing a power rangers cake. i just hate doing boys cakes so much, they never look pretty you cant add flowers, bows, frills and stuff that take girls cakes to the next level. wish people wouldnt ask for boys cartoon characters - nice jungle animals or bears, etc i could do and enjoy but horrible power rangers and stuff just look ugly!

sorry for the vent, never thought i would be picky about my customers, thought id just be grateful for orders but spending so much time on something your not happy with is so frustrating ! roll on tomorow night - baby girl christening!!
LL

21 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 22

my sister in law says the same thing about boys clothes. she has two boys and she loves shopping for my daughters =)
your cake is great! it's hard to detach our feelings but it's what the customer wants!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 22

Your cake is very cute, but I know exactly what you mean...I don't sell cakes I only do for family and friends. But this past weekend I made the most horrible cake ever for a little boy. It was BuzzLightYear cake and that's exactly how I felt...I couldn't put flowers, lace, pearls to hide the mistakes icon_cry.gif I will never bring that cake here icon_sad.gif

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 22

I love your cake! Being the mother of 2 boys, I'm used to the non-frilly things. I think Oliver is going to love it!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 22

i soooo agree with you, i HATE boys cakes,but we don't have a choice do we.Your cake is very nice though looks like a lot of work.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 22

I think your power rangers cake is adorable! I know what you mean, though. I have one son who's about to be 20. I remember him being crazy about power rangers. Gosh, they've been around that long? LOL Trust me.... when the little fellas see those "icky" cakes, they smile just as big as they can and their eyes light up and there's nothing better! I had to make a "monster truck" cake and I can't say that I was stoked about it particularly. I even put real toys on it because I know in "little boy land" he'd love nothing better than to keep the toy that was on his cake. He wouldn't have been as impressed with the fondant version. Think like a boy! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa

Cathy26 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 22

thanks everyone, just feel so disappointed, still its keeping the money rolling in so i should be grateful!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 22

Cathy I understand exactly what you mean! I have 3 grandSONS and all they want is cartoons, dragons and star wars. I finally got a grand daughter this Jan and can not wait to make her a castle for her first birthday!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 22

Lucky for me, though, I have some friends with little girls and I told one of them recently that somebody had to want a tinkerbell cake. I didn't care who wanted it, but someone needed to want it because I wanted to make it. LOL She said no problem!

Lisa

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 22

When I get an order and it's a boy,I really struggle to hide my dissapointment.But in saying that I had one that was for a 10yr old girl,but she wasn't a girly girl,she wanted white and blue and NO FRILLS whatsoever,again was dissapointed and even though I tried ,I really hated the finished cake,but she loved it.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 22

First, i have to say, i think your cake is really cute. I know a few years back my son would've loved to recieve something like that..now he's moved on to more 'mature' themes.lol ;0)
I totally can relate to your distaste for 'boys' cakes. I too find it sooo difficult to come up with really creative ideas for my son's birthday cakes. I usually let him browse CC for a cake he thinks is cool and i go with it, even if it takes me forever to do. I'd rather do it that way, then try and come up with a 'theme' for a sheetcake. Like you say, you can't add bows, and flowers to a boy's cake, so in order to get the 'wow' factor, i personally find you have to go way above and beyond just a basic cake. BUT>> at least with a boy cake you can kinda go with some sort of theme..when they turn into 'men' i think it gets even harder.

myholidayboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myholidayboyz Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #12 of 22

I love it! I have boys, so any "mistakes" are just worked into the design. icon_wink.gif

Cathy26 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 22

[quote="solascakes"]When I get an order and it's a boy,I really struggle to hide my dissapointment..[/quote]

have to laugh, my friend heard me take an order off the phone the other day and she said as soon as i heard it was a man's birthday cake she could hear my voice just falling - not in a rude way that the customer would notice but she noticed cause she knows me so well icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #14 of 22

Gee, I have no problem doing a cake for a boy or a man. They are far less critical and it gives me a chance to get "techy" like sounds, lights and whatever else I can work in. I would rather do a kids cake than anything else. They love whatever you give them. By the way, your cake is adorable. Next time cut a leg off one of them and let it bleed on the cake. You will enjoy it more. lol

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #15 of 22

Cathy24- my friend's little boy just had a power ranger birthday and he would have loved the cake you made! It's really cool.
Rosie2 you made the buzz lightyear cake? You should post it! I want to see how it came out. It can't be that bad.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:38am
post #16 of 22

I love doing cakes for little boys! I even love dressing my little man (he's 8 now, though, so he'd rather just throw on any shirt, any shorts, and his crocs - matching is not a concern of his).

My ds and his friends (the ones I've done cakes for) have had the coolest, most fun cakes! I've done more Thomas the Trains than you can imagine - and they're precious, IMO!! I've done Star Wars - LEGO Star Wars, sports (all different balls 3D), cowboys, I once did Webkinz for my ds that was a LOT of fun. Maybe my ds is more fun because he usually comes up with really cute ideas for what he wants. This past year, though, he wanted a "Total Drama Island" birthday. It's a ridiculous cartoon on Cartoon Network. I just traced his favorite character onto a cupcake cake. Not terribly exciting. So I put a cool filling in the cupcake and tried to make it special (we made a "gross out pizza" cookie to go with it). They get so excited when they see it!

I've also done Sonic and Batman. I think your Power Rangers is great! And I've seen a couple here, another Power Ranger pops to mind, that were just awesome! These can be lots of fun!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #17 of 22

Cathy24, your cake and work are beautiful even if this particular one isn't 'frilly-beautiful'. Excellent work, and I can imagine that the recipient was very, very happy!!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #18 of 22

It's a wonderful cake!!! Those Power Rangers you made are awesome!

Can I just add that my daughter (now almost 24 icon_eek.gif ) LOVED the Power Rangers when she was little -- that female one was so empowering to little girls bombarded with images of princesses and Barbie!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #19 of 22

I prefer girls/womens cakes over boys/mens...but since I have 1 husband and 3 boys myself....I am bound to do a lot of boys cakes! since I started my business legally, I have decided not to do the character cakes (at least paid cakes) since it is illegal anyway. Sort of gets me out of doing all the cartoons and such. It is hard for people to think out of the box, and you just have to help them along sometimes to think of new ideas. There are a lot of cool ideas for boys (trains, sports, cars, animals, games, hats, cowboys, food) don't get me wrong, I get excited to do girly cakes...bows, flowers, PINK.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #20 of 22

love the plaque you made on the top and each figure...wow!! and clovely love the star wars-i just did a lego indiana jones for my son (love all those games) and i think the total drama island is a great idea (he love that show too) i think with boys it just take extra imagination/creativity to do something different. as for the men...well, we do have the naughty galleries heheh

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #21 of 22

The Pwoer Rangers cake is adorable, but I agree, I generally get more excited about doing girls cakes. I have 3 boys, so I do have to do many boys' themes. We're having a party for my middle son's 7th tomorrow and he chose for me to do a King's castle and he had me do a treasure chest for the family celebration, definitely more fun the my oldest who only wants Star Wars themes and hubby who wants team logos.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 22

I just got home from my son's basketball game and talking to my dd's 3rd grade teacher about her son's birthday coming up. He's doing an army theme with tanks - I'm so excited about doing a cammo cake! I'm going to tint the batter in cammo colors . . . it'll be so GROSS!! They'll love it! icon_wink.gif

I think I enjoy boy cakes more than the girlie stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%