Unrefridgerated Strawberry Filling?

Decorating By KrazyK8 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm by Peridot

KrazyK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyK8 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 8

I was looking at some recipes for strawberry fillings, but I'm not sure if they should be refridgerated or not. I have a Cottage Home Bakery, so I can't make anything that needs to be refridgerated. I would like to use fresh strawberries. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kate

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

You could buy the prepackaged sleeves of filling. CK sells them! You don't have to refrigerate the filling until you open it. Once you open it, you have to refrigerate what is left in the sleeve. But you don't have to refrigerate the cake. You should check it out!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

I have the same issue-i can only use non-refrigerated fillings.

I have a recipe for a boiled down filling that I use with all fruits. It's sort of like using jam or jelly,,,while it will go bad after some time (just like anything will), it is stable enough for me to use unrefrigerated over 2 days.

puree enough strawberries to make 1 cup puree
4 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice

add strawberries and sugar to a pot over medium high heat. Stir the corn starch into a bowl with 1/4 cup cold water. Add that to the pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes until it's thick. Take off heat and add butter and lemon juice. Cool to room temperature before using.

Refrigerate if you want to keep it a while, but you can use it after it has cooled down without refrigeration.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 8

I've wondered about using canned strawberry pie filling... Anyone know?

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 8

No reason why you couldn't used the canned strawberry pie filling, or simply use strawberry jam. They would both work.

KrazyK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyK8 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try niccicola's recipe. Sounds yummy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

I have the same issue-i can only use non-refrigerated fillings.

I have a recipe for a boiled down filling that I use with all fruits. It's sort of like using jam or jelly,,,while it will go bad after some time (just like anything will), it is stable enough for me to use unrefrigerated over 2 days.

puree enough strawberries to make 1 cup puree
4 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice

add strawberries and sugar to a pot over medium high heat. Stir the corn starch into a bowl with 1/4 cup cold water. Add that to the pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes until it's thick. Take off heat and add butter and lemon juice. Cool to room temperature before using.

Refrigerate if you want to keep it a while, but you can use it after it has cooled down without refrigeration.

Awesome! I tried to make a filling a couple of weeks ago and it didn't turn out. So this is great. I'll have to try it soon!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 8

I just wanted to add that I used the Henry & Henry raspberry filling this weekend for a cake and I did not like it. My DH said, "Hey, this tastes like the stuff that they fill donuts and sweet rolls with that you get at the supermarket." And sure enough it does - I bet that is what they use. I am sure that the strawberry would be the same way.

I am going to try this recipe when I do a cake with strawberry filling as that is what I usually make and have not found a recipe that I like. That is why I tried the H&H for the raspberry one and was disappointed.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%