? Keeping Grease Out Of Ribbon

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm by MacsMom

sandy1 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 9

I need some advice. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you iron waxed paper onto ribbon to keep buttercream from absorbing into the ribbon. Does anyone know how to do this? Do you wrap both sides of the ribbon with the waxed paper and set the iron on the paper? How hot should I have my iron??? I need both sides of the ribbon to be grease resistant.
Thanks
S

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 9

I don't bother with that. I line the back with clear contact paper, trim the excess, and this makes for a nice stiff ribbon, which when applied to very chilled BC covered cak, lays up nice and flat, doesn't bend down, doesn't sag, and never ever gets greasy!

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Jamie. I need something that will work for both sides of the ribbon. I'll be overlapping the ribbon with a small bit of scroll work. I thought the waxed paper might do the trick. Would you suggest using contact paper on both sides???
Sandy

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 9

Ummmm....no I don't think I would. I think the effect of your ribbon, satiny finish, smooth finish, textured finish, what have you would be lost by being covered by that contact paper. Maybe royal icing on top of the ribbon? There isn't any fat in RI....so I bet that would be fine!

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 9

But then again...I might just do the waxed paper trick in your case. And I do not know how that is done, so I hope someone will come along who knows....I want to know too, I mayb need to do this myself someday!

forthwife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 9

Jamie: The clear contact paper on the back of ribbon is a great idea! Thanks for posting it.

handymama Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 9

Some people just grease the whole ribbon in advance.

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 9

I'm going to send out another topic to see if we can get some answers on the waxed paper technique.

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 9

The easist solution (it's what I do) is to spray Pam on the ribbon so it's already greased.

Another option is to trim Press-n-Seal wrap to fit the ribbon - it's easier than the waxed paper and works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%