Ace Of Cakes Cake

Decorating By lu9129 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by FlourPots

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:21am
post #31 of 384

Well the MINIMUM Charm City Cakes order is $1000, so it cost at LEAST that (and that's their base price, so if it's sculpted or funky or really originally it probably cost a lot more). PLUS the price of the plane trip! I wish i had money like that! lol

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:32am
post #32 of 384

I can't wait to see a picture and hear what you found out!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #33 of 384

The Cake Girls are in Chicago. They do a lot of the Food Network Challenges (currently Mary is in the The Last Cake Standing Challenge). So I would think that is closer.
I think the reason they do a lot of the items as "non" cake pieces is because most of them are on display. Like the Flamingo's were part of the Zoo's charity event. So something like that has to be on display for quite a while. But with the amount of display's they do, they really should be more of backstage designer instead of a bakery!! But they are all so talented. Especially the girl that paints (cant remember her name). But she really should look into getting her art commisioned!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #34 of 384

Standing by for the details!!

BTW--I agree with Jamie about the freezing part. I think they must have to keep everything very cold, maybe not frozen. I've had cakes in the fridge over night and were still very cold inside hours after being out of the fridge.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #35 of 384

I can't wait to see pics and hear more this cake...I'm DYING to know how it tastes!!! It'd be so exciting if it did end up on TV!

Ariginal, I make my modelling chocolate all the time using Wilton chocolate discs. I find it easier to make than fondant and people tend to prefer it in taste (cover my cakes with it too). Often times it eliminates the need for coloring because the chocolate comes in so many colors. You'll find a recipe for it in the book "Cake Art" from the Culinary Institute of America. 3/4 cup of corn syrup to 16 oz of dark chocolate or 3/4 cups to 24 oz of white chocolate works out really well for me. There's probably even a recipe for it on CC. icon_smile.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #36 of 384

No, no, no! You can't do this to me...you can't start a thread like this until you already ate the cake...then you can say, hey we got a CC cake blah blah blah.... you aren't supposed to make me wait for details when i know I won't get to check in all weekend. icon_smile.gif

I wonder how far in advance you have to order a cake from someone like that? I would love to get a unique cake like that for my parents 50th but I am in MI and I don't know of any place around here that makes fantastic cakes. I also don't see flying to pick up a cake. icon_smile.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #37 of 384

OMG i'm waiting at the edge of my seat for a review.

Many of the girls (artist) that work with duff are past students to MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) which my daughter currently attends. Whenever we go to Baltimore to visit her i'm always tempted to go check out Charm City Cakes....but never do. I swear its on my to do list!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:18pm
post #38 of 384

well now i find myself holding my breathe...who cares what you look like to others...its about us and this family that counts!!! hahahahaha get in there girl....get all the questions answered for us!!!!! hahahahahahahaa good luck!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #39 of 384

i know its a longshot but i would love to see a copy of or the details of their contact icon_surprised.gif

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #40 of 384

oh,oh, oh me too!! I wanna know how is tastes!!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #41 of 384

I have had his cake too. I think at the same event djs328 had hers. Mine was definitely frozen also. I thought it was funny because he does always says that his cakes aren't frozen. Maybe the sheet cakes weren't his, although I really doubt it. He was there to cut and serve and I'm sure he wouldn't cut and serve someone else's cakes. So, I hate to say it, but he isn't totally honest when he says they're not frozen.

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #42 of 384

His cakes start at $1000? WOW! I would hope they aren't dry.
Can't wait to see a photo!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #43 of 384

ZakIa6,

You can look on his website. His contract is on it and it is funny.

Lu

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #44 of 384

can't wait to hear about it! isn't michelle bommarito in michigan?

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #45 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasasi

I can't wait to see pics and hear more this cake...I'm DYING to know how it tastes!!! It'd be so exciting if it did end up on TV!

Ariginal, I make my modelling chocolate all the time using Wilton chocolate discs. I find it easier to make than fondant and people tend to prefer it in taste (cover my cakes with it too). Often times it eliminates the need for coloring because the chocolate comes in so many colors. You'll find a recipe for it in the book "Cake Art" from the Culinary Institute of America. 3/4 cup of corn syrup to 16 oz of dark chocolate or 3/4 cups to 24 oz of white chocolate works out really well for me. There's probably even a recipe for it on CC. icon_smile.gif

thanks for that... we dont have the wilton choc discs here yet that i know of... and as for the book cake art dont think we have that either hehe gee wish i had the funds to fly to america and do some cake shopping hehe maybe when i win the lottery then you will see me... i like the idea of buying it already made up so lazy of me i know hehe but hey if you can find easier ways stick with it, i say. thanks for the recipe though i will have to give it a go i think .

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #46 of 384
Quote:
Quote:

Well the MINIMUM Charm City Cakes order is $1000, so it cost at LEAST that (and that's their base price, so if it's sculpted or funky or really originally it probably cost a lot more

Actually I looked it up, and I heard them mention it on their show...their base price is actually $500. That would be for smaller birthday cakes and occasion cakes. They go up from there depending on what kind of cake you order and how far the delivery will be.

I have to say...I AM A DUFF ADDICT!!!! I try never to miss an episode!

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #47 of 384

Yes, Michelle Bommarito is in MI. Somewhere in Detroit! Haven't been there yet but plan to sometime. It's about 2 hours from me so it would have to be a all day trip. (3 small kids don't sit in the car for 2 hours very well.) icon_lol.gif Sweetideas, what are you close to in MI?

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #48 of 384

I will be watching this topic for the cake results!!

I love duff and his cakes!!

thank you for sharing!

melody

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #49 of 384

I also can't wait to hear the verdict on Duff's cakes. They look incredible and I would love to see (taste) if they're as good as they look! Kudos to you for being able to icon_wink.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #50 of 384

Cant wait to see pics of it!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #51 of 384

I'm so watching this thread too

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #52 of 384

how is he getting the cake back? flying with it? do they let you do that still, fly with food?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #53 of 384

Base price used to be $500 it is now $1000, they changed it on their website sometime ago - maybe last year?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #54 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Base price used to be $500 it is now $1000, they changed it on their website sometime ago - maybe last year?

Yep - true! I told this to my friend the other day who asked if i could make a wine bottle cake for her sister's 40th birthday - like Duff she said! I told her Duff doesn't turn on his oven for under $1000!! icon_lol.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #55 of 384

I know for a fact from a friend in my area that tried to order a Batmitzvah cake from him and he told him right off the bat that the deposit a cake is $1000.00. At the time the traveling costs were $175.00 per hour providing it was within 4 hours from the cake shop.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #56 of 384

Yep...it's a $1000...just read it on his web site. icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #57 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

how is he getting the cake back? flying with it? do they let you do that still, fly with food?

Yes you can fly with food. Liquids are not allowed through security check-point but can be purchased past that and brought on the plane.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #58 of 384

Can't wait for pics and and hearing about everything....he'll go in the bakery and meet all of the, etc.! Exciting!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #59 of 384

Cake not here yet ?

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #60 of 384

Their cakes USED to start at $500- but now they do start at $1000.

I would also think that his cakes aren't dry- but they are scratch and we are all so used to light fluffy cake mixes that a real dense made from scratch cake does tend to taste dry to most.

I'm waiting to hear all the details on this cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%