Ace Of Cakes Cake

Decorating By lu9129 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by FlourPots

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #211 of 384

Lu, I understand. I'm sorry you were caused so much stress over these pictures. I hope you get to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

(hugs)

usuzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usuzy Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #212 of 384

what a waste of time.i would have turned around an walked out without the so called cake.are you sure that is duff's cake. tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif
i can't beleive how ugly it is.it must be a mistake.you must have the wrong picture's.
suzy

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #213 of 384

I have to say, I'm a little shocked by that cake. You would think for $2 grand, it'd be looking a lot spiffier than that! Maybe a new guy did the cake?

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #214 of 384

That's interesting! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Lu for the majority of us..we appreciate the thread and the pictures.

Thanks

Forget about the naysayers!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #215 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

That's interesting! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Lu for the majority of us..we appreciate the thread and the pictures.

Thanks

Forget about the naysayers!

I 2nd that!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #216 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuzy

what a waste of time.i would have turned around an walked out without the so called cake.are you sure that is duff's cake. tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif
i can't beleive how ugly it is.it must be a mistake.you must have the wrong picture's.
suzy

I highly doubt you would walk out on $2k

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #217 of 384

It's okay, i'm not gonna get stressed out about people who have trust issues.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #218 of 384

Lu,

I can see why you would be disappointed. I really don't know what a $2000 cake looks like, but i wouldn't have pictured that.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #219 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

Glad to hear it Lu!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #220 of 384

Lu, I have been watching for your pictures too. I just want to say I know you had a busy weekend with different events going on I hate that you had so much pressure on you for the pictures but thanks for posting them. Hope you enjoy what is left of your weekend.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #221 of 384
Quote:

GOOD!

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #222 of 384

Ouch, how disappointing -- were the clients happy with the cake??

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #223 of 384

Except we just want to decieve ourselves and make someone feel good--THAT CAKE SURE IS UGLY!!!!!!!!I haven't seen Duff's show but from all the comments I've heard I was expecting something ''MINDBLOWING'' but what do we get for all the time spent following this thread-- B@?S%@T!!!!! I've seen far, far better on CC.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #224 of 384

OK, I have to admit this is not what I expected. Hate to be suspicious but having just been taken in by the cancelled-check drama last week...frankly, that was a lot more plausible than this being a $2k Duff cake. Unless there's some major symbolism or back-story, I'm not sure what to think.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #225 of 384

Thanks lu...

Wow...the $2,000. cost blows my mind now that I've seen the cake.

I don't think he should be congratulated for being able to charge so much...it doesn't seem right in this particular instance.

Was the recipient unhappy with it?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #226 of 384

Thanks Lu for all of the effort with getting the pictures to us. That cake leaves a lot to be desired for that price. I would not have paid $50 for it.

I agree - what a disappointment.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #227 of 384

M-E-N, i was scared to say it in case I offended anyone. Lu thanks for the pics, it must have been stressful for you,hanks a lot.

WWWOOWW that is some UGLY cake,it doesn't look yummy one bit.I so do NOT feel like having a slice,no thank you.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #228 of 384

I would like to know the significance of the cake...the story behind the design...what did those things stand for....

And lu, thanks for putting up with all of us crazy cake-obsessed people!

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:19pm
post #229 of 384

WOW, lets not forget there was airfare to and from St.Louis to Maryland too... that is a pricey cake!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #230 of 384
Quote:

First, thanks for posting the pictures.

Second, thanks for ignoring the people with the trust issues. Some of the people on here should just think things to themselves instead of posting and then they can just go to a different thread. That way they don't make anyone feel bad. KWIM?

Third, man that is one ugly cake!

Thanks again,
Gail

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #231 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I would like to know the significance of the cake...the story behind the design...what did those things stand for....

And lu, thanks for putting up with all of us crazy cake-obsessed people!

That's what I was thinking, it must have some sort of symbolism.

Thanks for sharing Lu! I was reading earlier and it was getting to seem like everyone who posted anything was automatically assumed troll until proven otherwise by some people. I know it's been a stressful couple of weeks with trolls but I was amazed at the response being that you've been around here for a while.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #232 of 384

Know what's funny and sad about this is, many of us make $2,000 cakes and wouldn't even consider charging that price.

If they can have a successful bakery, any one of us certainly can! I know that's exactly where I'm headed NOW!

Just hold on to your hineys! Here I come!

clovely Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #233 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

Thanks for sharing Lu! I was reading earlier and it was getting to seem like everyone who posted anything was automatically assumed troll until proven otherwise by some people. I know it's been a stressful couple of weeks with trolls but I was amazed at the response being that you've been around here for a while.

Yes, my apologies for questioning the OP. I went back and looked at Lu's photos; she's been here a while (I'm relatively new) and posted lots of pics . . . cakes WAY better than this one. Did she smack her Nephew in law for paying $2K for this when she could've done something SOOOO much better? If this is what they wanted Duff to do, we need the back-story. I can't imagine, though, how that cake could be explained.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #234 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritswife

Know what's funny and sad about this is, many of us make $2,000 cakes and wouldn't even consider charging that price.

If they can have a successful bakery, any one of us certainly can! I know that's exactly where I'm headed NOW!

Just hold on to your hineys! Here I come!

That's what I'm saying!!!!! I'm w/you 100 %

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #235 of 384

Lu they should have made you do the cake,not only would you have done a more better job,you would have charged them less.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #236 of 384

Would you guys listen to yourselves? icon_confused.gif

I've seen cakes way below this standard and read post after post after post of people oooohing and ahhhhhhing all over the place ... over a cake that is average. I read post after post on here saying we're suppose to "love and support" each other and the ever popular (make me gag with a big' ole spoon) cliche of "if you can't say anything nice dont' say anything".

But let someone command a fabulous price for a cake .... Duff cake, or what a celebrity paid for a 2 year old's birthday .... and the cat claws come out.

We've had threads where a cake civilian complained because a 2 tier 6/8 cake cost over $100 or $150. And we've had CC'ers "support" the cake makers side with "I don't turn my oven on for less than ....." (me included).

But let someone "not turn their oven on" for MORE than the average standard on here, and more cat claws come out. There are some posts on here that sound like comments I'd expect from cake civilians, not fellow cake creators.

Pricing minimums have to cover overhead. Look at what comes out of Charm City Cakes .... look at the level of talent he's hired. You don't get that for $2 over minimum wage. If that commands a higher "I dont' turn my oven on for less than ....." statement, then that's just how it works. If someone doesn't want to pay that, then as it's been said on here frequently: "Walmart .... Aisle 8 .... knock yourself out".

It is NOT an "ugly" cake. It's not a CCC SuperBowl cake, or Fist cake or any of the other fabulous creations you see on TV .... but those cakes don't sell for only $2000 either.

I just get tired of the inconsistencies. Very. Tired.

Lu and Lu's son .... thanks SO much for all the effort to post these pics for these Enquiring Minds! Appreciate it so much! thumbs_up.gif

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #237 of 384

Thanks Lu for the picture. For the ppl that are saying that the cake is "UGLY", c'mon guys, that is rude. It sure isn't what we all were expecting, but you don't have to say it like that. Especially since you don't know the back story and symbolism of the design.

How would you guys feel if you went to Vera Wang and payed $$$$ to have her design a cake to your specifications, and 20 ppl told you "Boy! That is one ugly dress".

I don't mean to be preachy but it made me feel bad for the OP. I wouldn't like it if it was me.

PS- I definitely think the cake should've been better made. Like individual fondant flowers and maybe some individual leaves for the trees, etc.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #238 of 384

Lu, you've done great with a lot of patience and maturity thumbs_up.gif You did say they were not aware you did cakes and I think this is a good opportunity to show what you can do. Find a reason to make a little classy cake for them and all those sweet dollars could be coming your way!!!!!

clovely Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #239 of 384

It just simply doesn't look like something done by someone getting paid the big bucks or a design-school graduate. Sorry. Honesty.

lbarboza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbarboza Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #240 of 384

in this moment i am watching the show... they made an elefant, that was fake, no cake and the fondant was awfull, now they are making a box of dog food, again no cake, so I think is easier to do something to look like a cake but without the problems of the real cake, like weight, softnes, and all natural things that happend with a real cake with a real filling.... but they are good, the crew, because I never saw a Duff to do a cake except the electric part o something like that...

in relation with your cake, i really have to say that when i saw icon_surprised.gif , that the face i made.....incredible.... i am sure the here you can find better cakes that dont cost 2k...... but famous it is....

in personal i dont order a cake from him because everybody touch the cakes, the girls are the hair loose, i dont see they are so carefully with the hygiene, but i like to see and try to get a good tips....but not for eating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%