Gum Past Or Fondant

Decorating By Mrsnoodle Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm by underthesun

Mrsnoodle Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 14

This is probably a pretty elementary question but I have never done fondant stuff before, only piped decorations.

I have been asked to make a farm cake and realize that I need to do the animals in something other than butter cream. I have bought gum paste mix and rolled fondant. Which is my best bet for making animals and what is the difference between fondant and gum paste?

Thanks!

13 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 14

I would make the animals out of half fondant and half gumpaste. All gumpaste is nasty, you would not want to eat it though technically it is edible. The gumpast will pretty much dry rock hard. All fondant, and the animals may not hold their shape. Combo of both would be best especially if the cake is for a small child and they try to eat the animals.

annez Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 14

For my son's birthday I made an animal for the top of his cake. I mixed fondant and gumpaste and liked the result. Generally, I would say that gumpaste dries harder faster...

TC123 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 14

Hi! I think it's a good question, and you'll probably get quite a few suggestions, too!

I would suggest using a mix of fondant and gumpaste (try 50-50). To keep my answers simple, the main differences between the two are the ingredients and that gumpaste will dry much harder than fondant. I use gumpaste mostly for my flowers and for things that I want to dry harder (like my avatar, to your left). icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps! And have fun! I look forward to seeing this cake because I live in the country!!! icon_biggrin.gif

annez Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 14

lol...pattycakesne & tcarra must have been typing at the same time- they said it better. icon_wink.gif
good luck!

lorrieg Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 14

50/50is what I use. You get extra drying time and it is not so dry looking when it's dry. If you want to keep it all edible you can use sticks of dry spagetti to join pieces together (like heads on torsos) for extra security.

Have fun, you will be hooked! thumbs_up.gif

AverageMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 14

I like to mix some gumpaste into my fondant for shapes, because the gumpaste alone will dry and crack before I'm done shaping! It's also a bit less brittle with the fondant mixed in. Don't forget to post pictures!

Mrsnoodle Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone. I plan on making the animals this weekend but the cake won't be finished until next Friday for a Saturday birthday.

I will definitely post the pictures. Hopefully it won't be in the cake disasters section!

Gotta go now and study some youtube videos on how to make them all icon_smile.gif

cakeflake80 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 14

I am also making animals for my daughters cake. I have never used gumpaste before. When mixing the gumpaste and fondant, is there a certain way to do it? I am not even quite sure what consistency gumpaste has! I was going to do all fonant animals, but after reading this I think it might help to use some gumpaste too....especially for the piggy's tail and to help make the ears stay up straight. My fondant is colored...will the gumpaste alter the color at all?

Mrsnoodle Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 14

Hey Everyone,
Here is the picture of my animals which for my first go out, I am pretty pleased with. I do have a couple of questions that came up as I was doing it:

I used a 50:50 mix and the materials seemed to blend nicely. I had to make and color the fondant one night and make the figures the next. The material reworked well but I found it difficult to get really smooth balls. Some of the folds from kneeding the material opened up as I was sticking legs and heads on and I was left with a little crack. Is that from the gumpaste and would that be eliminated if I reduced the quantity in the mix.

Does everyone have to wash their hands between handling black and any other color or is there a trick for stopping one color getting on the other?

What do you usually work on? My wooden table was difficult because the material would slide when I was trying to roll out snakes.

And lastly, do you make all the shapes for a figure and then glue them all together, or do you make the little pieces as you go?

Thanks for all the great advice.

PS: Naultlover, not that I am the one to answer, but I mixed white fondant and gum paste before I colored them and they pretty much have the same consistency and blend well. I imagine that if your fondant is colored, the gum paste would dilute the color.

Mrsnoodle Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry, another attempt at the attachment.
LL

underthesun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 14

Mrsnoodle: your animals turned out great! I made 3D people all weekend. Big difference between my first one and my 3rd one. Really making improvements.

Rolling surface worked great! My husband had purchased a 12 x 12 granite tile from Home Depot to use on small chocolate projects (rather than hauling his big marble slab out) and suggested I use it in rolling out small pieces. It was great! It's nice, because it's small and I can add shortening directly to the marble slab as my fondant/gumpaste gets sticky.

Mrsnoodle Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 14

Shortening? Really! I was adding icing sugar when things got sticky!

underthesun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 14

I read lots of forums and couldn't find a definite answer, but a few suggestions of using shortening. So, I just dove in. My first gumpaste figure (before going 50/50) cracked and dried out quite a bit. Then I used the 50/50, which was stickier, and decided to use shortening on my hands, and it was great! It worked well on the marble, too. don't need much, just a tad and would reapply as needed. Only issue was... had to let the shortening soak in a bit (not long) before I could glue pieces together well. Small pieces glued up just fine, but I had a lot of issues with my arms (heavier and gravity worked against me), but got it done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%