How Many Do You Have???

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm by tx_cupcake

SweetPea0613 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 36

So I LOVE LOVE LOVE my KitchenAid!!! But It's still new and I only have one bowl, one paddle and one whisk....It's really a pain having to wash them five times a day!!! Yesterday I made two separate cake batters, a batch of buttercream, two fillings and man am I tired of washing it over and over and over again....

So how many extras do you have???? How many do you recommend??? Eventually I know I'll get extras but for now I'm stuck washing everything all the time icon_sad.gif

35 replies
KieslerKakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 36

I only have one kitchenaide, but suggest if you do that much cake baking you need at least two. It's worth more of your time to purchase a second one than to wash all the time. Have fun!

countygirl28 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 36

I only have the one of each too, but I really really want more! I totally agree with you, washing them 5 times a day is a big pain!! icon_cry.gif

TheCakerator Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 36

well I have two KA's, which means the standard two bowls, two beaters, whisk and dough hooks .. I also have an extra bowl for my 6qt KA, a beater blade, and a side swipe blade. I also have the lids for all my KA bowls which is very nice because I can make icing in the bowl, slap the lid on it, and have another bowl for the batter .. of course, I could use another bowl for my smaller KA.

buffim Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 36

I only have one, and it's small! Desperately wish I had the larger size and more bowls etc!

pattigunter Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 36

I have the KA 5 qt. professional and LOVE IT - I have another on my wish list for christmas. Its the only thing on my list for this year so hopefully I'll get it.

CakesByLJ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 36

Well, look at it this way... either wash all 5 bowls/utensils at once, or wash one set 5 times....... LOL You still have to wash them... icon_mad.gif I want "self-cleaning" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Seriously, I think extra bowls are great.. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

well I have two KA's, which means the standard two bowls, two beaters, whisk and dough hooks .. I also have an extra bowl for my 6qt KA, a beater blade, and a side swipe blade. I also have the lids for all my KA bowls which is very nice because I can make icing in the bowl, slap the lid on it, and have another bowl for the batter .. of course, I could use another bowl for my smaller KA.

Wow!! When I grow up I wanna be just like you!! I don't think I could afford all that...lol

becky27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 36

i am a lucky girl...i have three....two are the largest kitchen aid makes and one is a 4 quart i think....i use the little one for whipping up my filling the other two do all the hard work...with frostings and cake batter!!!!! if you can't get a second or third KA then i strongly suggest at least buying some extra bowls!!!!! i am was so fortunate to get my KA by one loving Pink...my mom and sister bought me a pink one...and then when my sister got married she got one and gave it to me....and then at one point i burnt those two out and got a third one...at at the same time fixed those two so now i have three!!!! and that is my story!!!!

Atomikjen Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 36

I have to say I'm a bit KA spoiled... I have 3 icon_redface.gif

one 4.5 qt. we got it off a slickdeals deal a couple years ago through amazon for $100 it was supposed to be a gift but the recipient was already getting one... this one is a super back up.

one 5 qt. original baby of the house for my bridal shower

one 6 qt. professional for xmas this year when they were having really good deals on them with amazon. =D

I love my KA family!

evasmama Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Well, look at it this way... either wash all 5 bowls/utensils at once, or wash one set 5 times....... LOL You still have to wash them... icon_mad.gif I want "self-cleaning" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Seriously, I think extra bowls are great.. icon_biggrin.gif

My thoughts exactly! I wish I had the counter space for more than one KA sometimes, but it's cramped enough with just the single 6 qt., food processor, coffee maker, toaster, flour and sugar canisters, microwave, knife block, blender, several plants, salt and pepper, olive oil, and a few issues of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food! icon_biggrin.gif

amberlee416 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 36

I now have two!! I bought the classic from wal mart and then when qvc had the pro on special value i bought that one too, i was so glad qvc had it because they had easy pay option for it otherwise i wouldnt have been able to get it.

pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 36

I would suggest just getting an extra bowl or two and definitely the beaterblade, I love it, very little scraping down the bowl

Neelas_wife Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 36

I have only one for nowicon_sad.gif I so want another one though...... icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 36

I hear ya about washing bowls, paddle attachments, and whisks all the time. Some days I feel like I'm washing utensils and attachments and bowls more than I'm baking and decorating. I'm defintely getting extras as soon as I can!

jen1977 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 36

I have a 6qt, and one extra bowl for it. I got the bowl refurb thru KA, waited MONTHS for it, but it was only $25, and there's nothing wrong with it! I think it was probably the bowl from a returned mixer. I only have one paddle, whisk, and hook. I'd rather rewash them than have to wash 3 or 4 of them, though an extra paddle would be nice. I wouldn't want anymore than 2 bowls, just because they take so much space!

ShayShay Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 36

I have one Super Shiny Red Artisan KitchenAid and I absolutely Adore it!! My hubby gave it to me for Christmas!
After using just a little electric hand mixer all these years I will gladly wash it as many times per day that it takes! lol !

jdelaney81 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 36

I don't necessarily want another KA (I have one 6qt that I got for my wedding), I would just love to have more bowls, paddles and lids. I have been hinting to my husband for my birthday (in July). Although, I am getting really impatient and not sure I want to wait that long! icon_biggrin.gif

BARBARAJEAN Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 36

I know what you mean. I actually have 2 mixers, bowls, and beaters. I got lucky. My husband found a perfectly good Kitchen Aid at the flea market a few years back. I wouldn't even mind another bowl, but talk about expensive..... Start watching, maybe you will see one on-line somewhere.

SweetPea0613 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 36

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! You're the best! thumbs_up.gif

KookieKris Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 36

I too have debated on buying a spare bowl and beaters for my KA, but haven't broken down and done it yet. I think the worst is when it's the middle of winter and I'm washing my bowls, beaters, counter tops and equipment several times a day and my hands turn into sandpaper! icon_sad.gif
I really would like to get a few extras so I don't have to transfer batter, filling or frosting into another bowl so I can mix up for stuff!

djs328 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 36

I inherited my first KA from my mom - a smaller tilt head model. I was able to get an extra bowl & whisk at a serious discount from the cake supply store (they occasionally sell the pieces their bakery doesn't need anymore for pretty cheap - I think the bowl was around $7!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif So I use that one for small jobs...'she' gets tired with bigger stuff, so she's retired from buttercream, cream cheese icing, etc. icon_wink.gif
Santa was very good to me and brought me my new baby...the 6 qt lift bowl - and I LOVE it!
I do agree w/PP though - washing in between is just as much washing as at the end...5 batches is 5 batches! But being able to 'tornado' bake and not stop in between is really a nice little luxury! I'm lucky!!! icon_smile.gif

You may want to check with local bakeries if they are upgrading or getting rid of old machines - you might get lucky, too! thumbs_up.gif

aggiechef Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #23 of 36

I managed to get the only mixer that KA doesn't make spare parts for. icon_cry.gif Don't ever get the KA Pro 5 Plus mixer!!! It looks like the 6qt, but is slightly smaller at 5qt. If I want an extra bowl, then I have to buy another whole mixer. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

cakesdivine Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #24 of 36

I had 3 KA's a cobalt blue (my first) given to me for my birthday right after my now ex & I bought our house, then when I opened my first shop I bought 2 more, one referb at Conn's for $150 and a pink one on ebay for $179 total w/shipping. When I moved from Houston, I gave the pink one to my daughter because she wanted to start doing cakes for friends. Don't know how this happened but I have 2 paddles and 4 whisks. My daughter has a paddle and a whisk. Not sure when the other 2 whisk attachments showed up but I love that I have them since my icings are meringue based.

amberlee416 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #25 of 36

ok i have what may be a stupid question here, but those of you that have the pouring shield, does it fit fairly snug on the bowl? I got one with my new KA and it doesn't seem to fit very snug and the instructions look like there is supposed to be a tab or something and mine doesnt have a tab. Sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread here but i figured a gathering of KA lovers would be the perfect place to ask.

panchanewjersey Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:04am
post #26 of 36

I've got 1 Wolfgang Puck mixer and loooove it and I know how you feel but I don't mind the washing alot, I guess because I'm a clean freak and my things aren't that hard to wash I soak in real hot soapy water in between uses so it's easier

solascakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #27 of 36

I've got 2 kenwood mixers, a 6.7litre bowl and a 4.6.The 6.7 rocks.

djs328 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:00am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlee416

ok i have what may be a stupid question here, but those of you that have the pouring shield, does it fit fairly snug on the bowl? I got one with my new KA and it doesn't seem to fit very snug and the instructions look like there is supposed to be a tab or something and mine doesnt have a tab. Sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread here but i figured a gathering of KA lovers would be the perfect place to ask.

The pouring shield on my 6 qt just sort of sits on top...I still get splashing and ps puffing, so I also do the towel-over-the-mixer trick. thumbs_up.gif My mom had the shield for the smaller one and I remember it fitting a little more snugly, but still basically resting on the top lip of the bowl. On the 6 qt one, there are little 'tabs' around (maybe 4 or 5?) that prevent the shield from falling into the bowl, but not sure if that's what you mean... icon_confused.gif (that didn't all come out like I heard it in my head?!)

msthang1224 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #29 of 36

Boy do I agree, lol. I have one KA 5QT w.utensils that my sister got for me last xmas. She bought me an extra bowl and a lid. But I haven't been able to use the lid. It only fits the larger KA the one that you crank up and down. I told her that I won't return it because looking at it will make me push to get the KA that fits it, lol.

michellesArt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #30 of 36

okay i've had my KA for just about 2 years (wedding present from my best friends) and i hate when the ps is flying-i feel silly that i've never thought of putting a towel over the bowl before (lol duh) mine's black and i love it and dream about having a bigger one but i didn't know you could get extra bowls!!-i'm going to check that out today!!! yeah me!! thanks op!! (don't forget mother's day is coming hint hint heheh)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%