I Want Tinker Bell To Fly

Decorating By mellormom Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 12:48am by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 9

So how do I do this? Isn't there a wire thing with a mechanism that makes it turn? (like a mobile) For the life of me I can't think of what it is called and I have no idea where to get it.
Thanks for any help in advance!
Jen...

8 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 9

Well, you've got my attention. I would like to know, too.
Here's a bump.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

Think out side the box. Go to your hobby store and see what little motors they have. Ask the people who work there. What makes Duffs cakes stand out is his ability to use things that are not intended for use on cakes. I think you will find alot of things that you will put to use in the future. I would love to see what you come up with. Just ensure you protect it from the cake and vice versa.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure that this is exactly what you want, but maybe it's good place to start? Battery operated would be great!
http://www.starmgc.com/spinm.html
HTH

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 9

Ah, Im workion a tinker cake, and mine is not gonna fly, she will be lucky if her eyes arent crossed or her wings arent torn... icon_smile.gif but that sure is interesting....

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 9

Some Christmas tree ornaments come with little separate motors that make them spin. You could do a search on Ebay and see if you can find something like that. I would also definitely check your local hobby shop.

I love Disney World and I love to see Tink fly from the castle before the fireworks show, it's pure magic. Please be sure to post pictures of your cake and share with us how you accomplish this.

Good luck!

Kim

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Ah, Im workion a tinker cake, and mine is not gonna fly, she will be lucky if her eyes arent crossed or her wings arent torn... icon_smile.gif but that sure is interesting....

lol

I have some of the things which turn Christmas ornaments but they would just turn her around and around. I think she would get dizzy.

They have toy airplanes which fly in a larger circle. You might check on them and attach Tinkerbell in place of the airplane.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

check out:

radio shack --- http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=motors&origkw=motors&sr=1

and

edmund scientific -- http://scientificsonline.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=motors&x=0&y=0

(edmunds is a big boy toy place of fun fun fun!!)

should be able to find what you need -- and small enough too.

----

as others have suggested ANY kind of small toy with a motor in it is fair game for ripping apart -- make that "recycling" -- into your cake.

---

biggest trick will be to find a motor that will turn slowly enough (can accomplish with gearing, speed control (rheostat) or even using a mostly dead battery)

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!
I won't be doing the cake for a few months but I thought I would figure out how to make her fly in advance. The cake will be for a friend so if it doesn't turn out she won't care. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%