Cake Dummy..how To Make/where To Buy

Decorating By pinkflower1212 Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 9:23pm by cakechica27

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 13

I'd really like to practice my skills more, and don't want to force my family, friends, neighbors etc to eat more cake than necessary just so I can practice smoothing my buttercream etc. I did a search and saw pics that were cake dummies, but nothing that tells you about them.

Is this something that I make, or can i buy it somewhere? Do I put something over it so that I can reuse it or is it a one time shot thing?

12 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 13

You can get them at

www.**********.com

www.taylorfoam.com

You can buy styrofoam and cut your own, but I would rather buy them precut. They are inexpensive anyway. I've only ordered from taylor foam, but have heard good things about both places.

I do not cover mine with anything before icing/decorating. To clean them, I just scrape off the icing and wash in the sink.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 13

i've purchased from www.**********.com and they are really cheap and have a variety of shapes! thumbs_up.gif

pinkflower1212 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i've purchased from and they are really cheap and have a variety of shapes! thumbs_up.gif

You've purchased from where? They blocked it out. Please PM me if they won't let you post the name. Thanks!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 13

sorry...i forgot they block certain companies. if anyone wants to know, just pm me. icon_wink.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #6 of 13

If you google cake dummies alot come up so you can price shop. I just got mine, fun to play with but hard to ice, they are so light they move around!

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 13

i found some round styrofoam @ michaels but felt that $3.99 for a 6" x 2" was too much when i could get a sheet and cut my own for $12.99 (less if u have a coupon) my hubby was able to get 2-6", 1-8", 1-10" and 1-12" rounds for me. now i just have to buy another sheet and make the other rounds to do 2 layer dummies. hubby used his elictric carving knife to cut the styrofoam. as far as what to cover with to re-use, i am assuming i can use plastic wrap.

pinkflower1212 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

If you google cake dummies alot come up so you can price shop. I just got mine, fun to play with but hard to ice, they are so light they move around!

Yes I found that, but how do you make it reuseable. Everything on the sights I read were for you to make it for a show or for display. That doesn't help me with working on my skills icon_cry.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

Quote:

Yes I found that, but how do you make it reuseable. Everything on the sights I read were for you to make it for a show or for display. That doesn't help me with working on my skills icon_cry.gif

If you are just looking to practice piping skills you do not need the dummies. You can just pipe on a waxed paper, vinyl on a pot or cake pan.

If you want to design a whole cake then use dummies (most people use it for displays but you can use it for practice). If you put it in hot water the icing or fondant (which ever you use to cover) should dissolve right off.

HTH!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:20am
post #10 of 13

look at www.**********.com (no spaces).

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #11 of 13

Keeping in mind that i am over here (Australia) i needed 2 inch x 2 inch little square Dummies for this Saturday to show a Bride to be some of my designs....
So i looked up my phone book and found many companies under Polystyrene Foam Sales and just phoned one of them last week - gave him the dimensions of what i needed and he said - "not a problem - be here anytime after midday to collect"... thumbs_up.gif
For $30.00 Australian Dollars i got 20 mini sqaure - 10 x 6" round - 10 10 inch square - 2 x 8" round and 2 x 8" square - plus all these off cuts that i can use for turrets on castle cakes - and other bits.

Just to buy ONE 10" x 4" dummie from a shop would set me back about $9.00 icon_rolleyes.gif

So perhaps you have a Foam Sales place near you - and you can order what you require and as many as you want.

(For anyone from WA the place is in Myree - South of the River)

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

Quote:

You wrap them tightly in saran wrap and tape the wrap underneath. You have to go around the dummy and pull the saran wrap loose edges tight and tape down, then, when your done you untape underneath and the dummy slides out. I scrape the icing off the saran into a container to reuse for practice. I have heard where some throw it in the diswasher on top shelf with no soap and that works and others dispute it, so I stick with the saran wrap.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 13

I just got my first set of dummies in from www.**********.com in the mail yesterday, and I am psyched to use them. I'm going to use the plastic wrap method, then ice it and cover it in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%