Mmf Questions - I Want To Try It!

Decorating By kjskid Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm by xstitcher

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 13

I'm about to take the Wilton Fondant/Gumpaste class, and I don't want to use Wilton fondant because it's NASTY! So I want to try and make a batch of MMF for the class. I've read over the tutorial, but I have some questions about it.

1. How big of a batch does it make (or how much will one batch cover)?

2. How long will it store and where do you store it?

3. Can you put any flavoring in it, or does only vanilla flavoring taste good?

Thanks for the help!

12 replies
samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 13

Yes you can add flavoring if you like, but it doesn't really need it. The flavor is quite good without as well. You can store in the fridge or on the counter. Make sure you rub shortening on it and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. If you do place it in the fridge you have to let it sit out to come up to room temp before you use it. The amout really depends on the amout of marshmallows you use and how thin you roll it out.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 13

i don't blame you...that wilton stuff is horrible. the mmf tastes great and can be stored in the frig. or wrapped tightly and sealed in a container. one batch i think can cover a 1/4 sheet cake.

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 13

I use 16oz of marshmallows and get about 3 pounds if I remember correctly. I used 2 lbs to cover my 8 inch cake and had plenty left for accents.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 13

I just made Orange Dreamsicle cakes for my kids, I flavored the MMF with Orange extract, and it tasted great. Had a great orange flavor.

HTH

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 13

Don't kick me in the head - I was thinking about the instructor. Maybe just until you get through your class you could use the Wilton Fondant. Then when calsses over change. Because it is a Wilton class and Wilton is who she/he works for you don't want to offend.

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Don't kick me in the head - I was thinking about the instructor. Maybe just until you get through your class you could use the Wilton Fondant. Then when calsses over change. Because it is a Wilton class and Wilton is who she/he works for you don't want to offend.

i used some of both in my class...my instructor KNOWS how Wilton fondant tastes and she doesn't eat it either! icon_lol.gif
I talked to her about it and she was cool with it...i'm not sure she knew how easy it was to make homemade.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

.... I was thinking about the instructor....

Gotta agree with Janette on this one. I also didn't want to use the Wilton Fondant because I knew it tasted horrible so I asked my Instructor if it would be ok to use a different fondant. She said she wanted everyone to use the same fondant because she new the results would then be the same across the board (different fondant may have different issues) and that it is much easier to teach the class with the same product. I could totally understand her point so I bought the box (used my coupon though) and removed the fondant when I got home. Whatever I had left over I used as accent pieces for other cakes that were not going to be eaten (like my Winnie the Pooh figures).

I'd definitely check with the instructor....

Have fun with the class.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 13

I asked my instructor the same thing, and she had the same answer. It's easier for her to know what the problem is (if there is one) if everyone has the same fondant. after the course you can use whatever you want.
I actually had the same question with the buttercream b/c I hate the wilton recipe but this time she said bring in the recipe so she can see it, but if it doesn't work I would have to buy the wilton ready made to use in the class.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 13

For the class I really think you should use the Wilton fondant. The instructor might not mind, but perhaps she is just being polite....at least with the Wilton if anything goes wrong your instructor will know what's happening.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 13

My Wilton Instructor was going to give us the recipe for MMF to use, but I didn't take it, since I already had it.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 13

I have some leftover Wilton fondant, about 1/2 pkg, that I can use for the first class. I shouldn't need a lot for the first class b/c we won't be covering a cake, right? Also, what's the shelf life of fondant and MMF if it's wrapped up tightly? Does it last longer in the fridge?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 13

I think you'll only need enough fondant to cover the package cake and to do the roses. Can't remember if there was anything else (been a while). For the final cake I believe it's your choice what you cover your cake with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%