Decorating Tips

Decorating By CAKEtankerous Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm by TexasSugar

CAKEtankerous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEtankerous Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 3

Wanted to know from those who have been decorating cakes for a while, is it necessary to get all the wilton tips? Do you really use all those and if not, what are the tips that you find you really do use the most and is it necessary to have more than one of certain tips. Thanks for everyone's input.

2 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 3

no...you do not need to go out and buy all those tips. i would start out with the ones that you use the most...like the leaf tip, the round tip, the star tip, the petal tip, etc.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 3

I have some tips that came in kits that I have never used them. Before you go out and buy 50 different tips sit down and think about what you will really use and won't you won't.

In my opinion the tips that come in the Wilton course kits are generally good ones to have, especially the Course 1 kit. I also tell my students, I'm a WMI, that I am a firm believe in having multiple tips of those you use a lot.

I like having a variety of round tips, but more 3s than anything and have several 12s. Star tips 16 or 18 and 21s. Leaf tip either 67 or my favorite 352. Petal tips, 104 for roses.

Also what yo do will tell you what types you may need or may need more of. If you do a lot of cakes with stars then having many different stars in the same size like 16 or 18. If you do a lot of flowers you will find a variety of size and shape in those come in handy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%