I'm In Need Of Total Help.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm by shanasweets

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake due on April 18 for my brother's birthday. I have a huge huge problem. I have a cake that has a 14' round bottom tier. The bottom tier has 6 layer of cakes and 5 layers of buttercream (alternate). I made 2 kinds of buttercream, one is mocha and one is vanilla.

My problem is that, my mocha buttercream had too much milk. It's not runny or anything but it was very soft. It has about TWICE the amount of milk than my regular buttercream recipe (Indydebi's recipe). I did put a very very thick dam around it though. It had a thick dam in the center and on the edges. Now I am worried if I will have problems. Do you think my buttercream will spoil since it has twice the amount of milk? Do I have to refrigerate it? will my cake collapse even if I did put a very thick dam?

I can't do anything anymore. I have already crumbcoated it and I was just waiting for it to settle for several hours but I was concerned with the mocha buttercream so I had to settle it in the fridge.

Is it also ok if I have in the the fridge with only a crumbcoat for 24 hours? I did wrap it loosely with a lot of plastic wrap.

Anyone please help me. THANKS.

3 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 4

that sounds like a HUGE bottom tier!!! WOW!!! I can't imagine!!!

If you are worried about the one buttercream, I would add some more powdered sugar to thicken it up. There's nothing worse than that dam breaking through and ruining the cake. I have had it happen. As far as crumb coating and putting in the fridg for 24 hours, that is what I do all the time. That will kind of give you an idea of how the dam will hold up. It gives the cake a chance for the cake to "Settle".

I don't think you would have a problem with one icing having more milk than the other and spoiling......

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 4

Since you've already assembled/crumbcoated it, there's nothing you can do to thicken the icing. But yes, you should definitely put it in the refrig. That will firm up your icing, as well as set your crumboat. 24 hrs is fine. I wouldn't take that puppy out until I had to! Hope for the best!! Unless your cake will sit out for a loooong time, I wouldn't be worried about spoining, either.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4

I think you are ok with it in the frig for a while. But I would think a concern over that tall of a tier. I thought you were to support every 4 inches. So I would think you would need to dowel and have cardboard seperator somewhere in the middle if you are having that tall of a teir. Must be 6-8 in thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%