If You're Looking For An Inexpensive Airbrush.....

Decorating By coolchc21 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm by coolchc21

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 16

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to share this great deal. I got this airbrush (includes everything, even some colors) for $85 with shipping included on Ebay. It's a little noisy, but it works awesome!! Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220388128639[url][/url]

15 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 16

have you worked with it much??? that sounds like a great deal, but i'm wondering how long it will hold out? icon_confused.gif have you had any problems with it???

coolchc21 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 16

Actually, I just got mine yesterday. But I tested it and it seems to work pretty well. I don't plan on using mine a lot, but it's nice to have for the times I need it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 16

hmmm...i may just try that out...i can't afford those expensive ones right now and i've never done airbrushing, so this might be something i might consider.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 16

Can you adjust the PSI on the compressor. That would be my only concern. If it builds up too high it can blow holes in your icing. Is there a moisture trap on the compressor?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 16

Check out his guys E-Bay store (http://stores.ebay.com/TCPGlobal-AutoBodyDepot_Cake-Decorating-Bakery-Suppl_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ861461014QQftidZ2QQtZkm).

I bought the CAKE DECORATING AIRBRUSH KIT, 12 -0.7 Colors-Compressor for $110. Shipped today and I can't wait to get it and try it. I've never airbrushed either and this seemed lke a good deal for a starter.

Good Luck!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 16

question, why an airbrush? I have seen it used on tv but does it do a better job of coloring the fondnt or icing? Just wondering

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 16

I'm VERY tempted coolchc21!
I may just have to buy myself one of those ~ I'm the same as you ~ I won't use it all the time, just on occasion.

Thanks for sharing!! icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesne

question, why an airbrush? I have seen it used on tv but does it do a better job of coloring the fondnt or icing? Just wondering

It's on my "want" list because I thought "what a great idea for strong colors! " The cake eaters won't have stained mouths because it would only color the very outside of the cake layers, and the BC or fondant would stay white inside. Also, if you don't mix enough, you can't easily match the color. Spraying the outside, it would all match and be incredibly quick to color vs mixing BC or fondant!

I'm also going through tons of cans of PME spray pearl, so it would save me $$.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 16

thanks sweetiesbykim for the info, I never thought about all the different reasons

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for sharing!

coolchc21 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 16

I have to do a groom's cake next week, which is a Chicago Bears helmet. It gave me a reason to finally buy one. icon_lol.gif Can you imagine everyone's teeth stained black? Yuck!

LP4702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LP4702 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks so much coolchc21 & Kimmers971 for the ebay links....my daughter and I have just recently put an airbrush on our 'want' list so we've been trying to find the best deal. Having never used one before, we didn't want to invest too much $$$$ for our first purchase.
We will definitely be checking these out!!!!!!!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #14 of 16

This has been on my want list and DH is on my sh** list this morning so I might just get one icon_biggrin.gif
Before I do does anyone see anything wrong with it? Well, maybe not wrong, but I don't want to be sorry I bought the wrong kind... I would probably only use it a few times a year...

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

This has been on my want list and DH is on my sh** list this morning so I might just get one icon_biggrin.gif
Before I do does anyone see anything wrong with it? Well, maybe not wrong, but I don't want to be sorry I bought the wrong kind... I would probably only use it a few times a year...

So funny! I'm using this reason, too...my DH golfed yesterday instead of cleaning his stuff out of the garage-after I put it all in one place, and organized the good stuff!

I would only airbrush occasionally, too, and don't want it to tear up before I can master the technique icon_redface.gif! How difficult is it to learn? I know that everything takes practice, so how bout say using the scale "beginner"-"intermediate"-"experienced"?
Thanks for your input thumbs_up.gif

coolchc21 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 16

It's really not difficult at all, but you will need to practice. It's the kind that you just add to the little cup on the top and it's dual action so you can control the amount of color that comes out. The cool thing is that you can mix colors in the cup, i.e. you can add a little green and yellow to make lime green. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%