Help With Large Cake Baking

Decorating By JaySpice Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm by JaySpice

JaySpice Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 19

Good afternoon all!

I am making a cross cake for my god daughter this weekend. I found a good tutorial on assembling the cake but it starts with a cake baked in a 15x13 pan. I have never baked anything that big and I'm a bit scared. Does anyone have any suggestions on baking in that scale or maybe another method to create a cross cake?

Thanks.

18 replies
samantha22c Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 19

Whenever I have to bake a large cake like that I bake it at 325 degrees. It takes longer, but cooks evenly and all the way through.

jammjenks Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 19

I also bake at 325, but I add an inverted flower nail to the center to help distribute the heat to the middle of the cake.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 19

For any cake that large I use an inverted flower nail, bake even strips and set the oven to 325 always.

diane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 19

you can always bake a smaller sheet cakes and cut and assemble them into a cross of that size. icon_wink.gif

JaySpice Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks a bunch.

@Diane - I think I will try your way. I just hope my cake doesn't split when I lift it.

pipe-dreams Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 19

jayspice..if you cook the cakes, then stick them in the freezer for a bit(covered really good in plastic wrap), it makes it SO much easier to carve. It doesn't crumble and fall apart that way! Good luck!

pattigunter Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 19

Have you seen the new cake lifter that Wilton has come out with? Its would help you pick it up. They have them at Michaels.

pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 19

I agree with pattigunter. I have 2 wilton cake lifters, I love them, it makes it really easy to lift even large sheet cake layers that you torted. Use the Michaels coupons and they are reasonable

xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I also bake at 325, but I add an inverted flower nail to the center to help distribute the heat to the middle of the cake.

Same here except I sometimes put a few of them in (depending on size - and it just makes me feel better icon_lol.gif ) and I like to use the bake even strips (Wilton ones - or homemade from towel strips).

xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Same here except I sometimes put a few of them in (depending on size - and it just makes me feel better icon_lol.gif ) and I like to use the bake even strips (Wilton ones - or homemade from towel strips).

But.....If your really nervous than my suggestion would have been the same as Diane.

Good luck, and please don't forget to post your picks. icon_smile.gif

Marmette Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 19

im wondering doesnt the flower nail leave holes in you cake

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 19

The hole is so tiny it's not even noticeable once the cake is iced.

Marmette Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 19

oh ok. Has anyone tried using the wilton heating core before. I have one but i cant really figure out how im supposed to use it without it creating a big hole in my cake

dogwood Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 19

I haven't used Wilton's heating core before but it's my understanding that you put it in your cake batter in the middle of your pan with hollow side up and then you put some of your cake batter in the hollow. Then when your cake is done baking you remove the heat core from the cake and then you remove the cake from inside the heat core and put it into the hole in your big cake. I hope this is clear if not maybe someone who's used it will step in with better instructions.

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 19

dogwood has the instructions correct, however I have used the heating core with diasatrous results. The piece in the core sometimes won't come out and then there is no piece to plug the whole with.I like using the flower nail best. Stick with that.

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 19

dogwood has the instructions correct, however I have used the heating core with diasatrous results. The piece in the core sometimes won't come out and then there is no piece to plug the hole with.I like using the flower nail best. Stick with that.

pipe-dreams Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 19

I just used the heating core last weekend. I forgot to put shortening/ flour in it. So my batter stuck, but I just used a knife to get it out. It came out fine. The instructions she gave are right, just remember to grease the inside!

JaySpice Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 19

The cake was a hit! Thank you so much for the advice about lowering the temp of the oven. Worked like a charm.

It's a vanilla butter cake with strawberry SMBC.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%