Impression Mats Sticking!

Decorating By DevineDesserts Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm by DevineDesserts

DevineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DevineDesserts Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Everyone -

I have an icing recipe that I love, but no matter what I do, my impression mats stick to the icing. I've tried letting my cakes sit at room temp, I've tried letting the icing harden in the fridge... and i just don't know what to try next!
Is there something I can put on the mat to prevent it from sticking? I think my main problem is I use butter in my icing. I'd love any suggestions!

10 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 11

Try brushing it with a light coat of cornstarch first before using it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 11

Are you using a crusting BC recipe? If not try sticking the iced cake in the freezer for a short time before using the mat then work fast before the icing starts to warm back up.

DevineDesserts Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 11

I've tried putting it in the fridge and as soon as I rub my hand over the mat to press it against the cake, it starts sticking right away! I will try the cornstarch this next time. Do you think powdered sugar would work as well? I don't want the outside to taste funny!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 11

what kind of BC are you using? post recipe if you can!

DevineDesserts Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 11

4 sticks of butter
4C of sweetex
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp butter extract
1 tbsp meringue powder
4 pounds powdered sugar

Sharon I loved so much about your icing, I just wasn't a fan of the wedding bouqet flavoring. I just went back to my old recipe but I've been using the sweetex instead of crisco.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 11

It doesn't sound like it's a crusting BC, have you tried putting it in the freezer to really firm it up?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 11

your fat to sugar ratio is so high you will not crust. you need to cut back on your fat.

try one cup fat to one pound of PS

then it should crust well and you can use the mat

HTH!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevineDesserts

Sharon I loved so much about your icing, I just wasn't a fan of the wedding bouqet flavoring. I just went back to my old recipe but I've been using the sweetex instead of crisco.

You don't have to use the wedding bouquet, you can use whatever flavour you like, i just asked this question yesterday, lol!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevineDesserts

4 sticks of butter
4C of sweetex
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp butter extract
1 tbsp meringue powder
4 pounds powdered sugar

What Sharon said! Way, way too much fat.

When I do 4 lbs. of PS, my recipe is 4 cups of fat (4 sticks of butter [2cups] + 2C Sweetex)--you have 6 !!!!!!! I don't use meringue powder and my liquid is 12-16oz. of heavy whipping cream. I don't see any liquid in your recipe, either. I use 4 tsp of flavor. My recipe does crust.

HTH
Rae

DevineDesserts Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 11

That makes sense! Thanks guys! I'm making a cake today so I'll let you know how that turns out (when I use less fat!) I LOVE this website! You guys are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%