Help! Replacing Liqueur With Syrup?

Baking By meghanb Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm by meghanb

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 5

I am making creme de menthe cupcakes, and the recipe I use calls for the creme de menthe liqueur. I know it is only a small amount (1/3 cup), and most of the alcohol evaporates during baking, but there will be some kids eating these, so I would feel better using a replacement.
I bought creme de menthe syrup, which is non alcoholic, but no where does it say if I replace it ounce for ounce for the liqueur. It says for a drink, you mix 1 part syrup to 2 parts 30 proof clear liquor, so that makes me think perhaps I need to dilute it. But it says you can pour it right onto ice cream for a dessert, so that makes me think I don't need to.
I'm so confused, please help!

4 replies
meghanb Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

I hate to bump my own post, but I am supposed to make these cupcakes this afternoon. I'd really appreciate the help!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry, I'm not sure, but I can tell you this, alcohol used for flavoring has no alcholic effects when consumed.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 5

I would just use the 1/3 cup of the syrup. The syrups, from my experience are not really "concentrated"...especially if you can pour it directly on ice cream.

So to keep the recipe's liquid amounts the same, I'd use the 1/3 cup.

If it were a concentrated flavoring, like Loran oil, that would be different.

HTH!

meghanb Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help!
I know the alcohol is burned off, but there are some very conservative people at this gathering, so I am being extra cautious. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%