These Shoes Aren't Made For Walking......

Decorating By terrylee Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm by KitchenKat

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 3

A friend asked if I could make a shoe box cake and a high heel shoe.... My one and only attempt a while back (before CC) was not good....wouldn't dry, wouldn't stay together.....yatta...yatta....total flop.

I have seen so many beautiful fantastic shoes on CC and I'm seeking your advice.

Questions - gumpaste and fondant mix? is there a certain mix or do you just use gumpaste. How long does it take for the gumpaste to set and harden.....my one and only experience with it, is that it never did harden. What have you found to be the best gumpaste. premade or powdered.

Patterns - do most of you use a kit or free hand your creations. I'm ok with hand work and modeling but if a kit is easier that would be good too.

Sorry for the long post...would appreciate any hints or ideas.

2 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 3

bump

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 3

For the shoe I use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe & make my own tylose glue. Dries in about 2 days. I use the pattern found on cc with some modifications (e.g. open toe, round toe, straps, heel, etc.). Mine is straight 100% gumpaste, NO FONDANT! In my humid place that would make it impossible to set.

Are you in a humid place? My gumpaste hardens then softens depending on humidity. I keep mine in an air conditioned room so they stay dry and firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%