Fondant Decorating

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 7:33am by lostincake

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I'm new icon_smile.gif My name is Michelle. I'm pretty new to decorating. My dad's a decorator and I've watched him, which is how I've self-taught most of my "skills". But he rarely works with fondant so I'm pretty clueless with that.

I use MMF. If I cover the cake in MMF, then want to attach, say dots or something, how do I make those stick? I used buttercream to "glue" them on on my first try, but it leaked out around the edges and showed. Is there a better way? Also, any tips on coloring it and rolling it out thin enough? It was way too thick on my first try and the color was streaky. Thanks a ton!

10 replies
lordbuffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lordbuffington Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Michelle,

I'm fairly new too but the first cake I ever did was fondant. I used water as my glue but I believe you can also use vodka or even vanilla. I have used just my fingers or a little paint brush will work too.

As far as rolling it out, you can buy rolling pin "guides" that help you get an even, correct roll.

Coloring - you should use gel colors and use a toothpick to dab the color all over, then just keep working that fondant like Play Doh. Sometimes it takes a while for it to become completely even, but it will get there.

Good luck! Just do some searches...I've read thousands of posts on here and that's how I've learned the majority of what I know!

Andrea

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 11

Be sure to wear food gloves when coloring unless you want to have colored hands!!! Have fun!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 11

I'm doing my first fondant next week! I'm not covering the whole cake in it, just making some fondant leaves to stick chocolate frogs on icon_smile.gif Good luck on your cake!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 11

You might also want to try Michelle Foster's fondant recipe on this site. Everyone says it's much easier to work with then mmf and tastes very good. I just use a small paint brush and water to adhere fondant to fondant.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 11

Hi Michelle,

Like Andrea said - there is a ton of information on CC - I'm self taught too and I have learned so much from this site.

I just use water with a small paint brush, a little goes a long ways....to much and they will just slip right off.. - you can also use clear gel, like for beads or pearl dots.

terrylee

MrsMabe Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:16am
post #7 of 11

Thanks everybody!! I can't wait to do my next cakes! I have two in mind. We're moving soon and I want to make a "goodbye" cake for my work and for my husband's. Both will be fondant. And I desperately want to "wow" everybody icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #8 of 11

Hi Michelle and welcome to CC!

I cannot recommend all of Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack's) video's enough. She has one specifically for Fondant cakes as well, in it she shows you how to cover all different shapes of cakes, and lots of troubleshooting tips as well as other extra info:

Here is a quick preview of her Flawless Fondant dvd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_M5N1TMxA&feature=related

If you need something immediately here are a few videos that might help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bLp3B-mFus&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecmy4nKT-A&feature=related

http://atecousa.net/dev/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=39

As for attaching fondant accent pieces to fondant - just brush the back of the accent piece with a tiny amount of water & then press onto your cake until it feels likes it has adhered.

MrsMabe Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:49am
post #9 of 11

Sugarshack has videos? icon_eek.gif I LOVE her cakes!! Thank you!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:56am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMabe

Sugarshack has videos? icon_eek.gif I LOVE her cakes!! Thank you!

She has 5 available right now and her next one is due out shortly. All great!

Here's the link to her site, in case you didn't catch it in the youtube video:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #11 of 11

You can also use royal icing (RI) to adhere your fondant decorations.

When applying fondant to fondant when it's fresh i.e. not had time to dry hard, then a little water is enough. When you are adhering a dried piece, you will need more water to get the piece sticky (or goopy) again and will need to hold it in place for at least 30 seconds. If you are adhering fondant pieces that have been dried to hold their shape, you might find RI to be more effective.

HTH, have fun & good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%