New To Petal Dust On Gum Paste....help

Decorating By hensor Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm by -K8memphis

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a wedding cake for a co-worker. Her colors are fairly bright and I wanted to do gumpaste roses instead of colored fondant ones. I have not used petal dust before and wanted to know how easy it was to use.

Thanks....... birthday.gif

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 15

Super easy. Brush it on dry or wet.

Often, some coloring in the paste helps carry off the dust you apply. So I often color the paste and use dust.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 15

for roses, I typically color the gumpaste first. I use darker version for the inner petals, mixing a little white gumpaste in as I move outwards (unless for a dark rose, in which case I just use the darker paste throughout). After dry, I dust the tips of the petals in the appropriate color to up the realism. For example - on a pink rose, I start with a darker pink for the inner petals, a slightly lighter pink for the next row, a slightly lighter pink for the next row, etc. After dry, i touch the edges of the petals with a darkish pink (I apply only dry dust). depending on the rose, I may also use a slight touch of pearl dust as well. i also touch the calyx and the leaves with a pink tone (after dusting the green) as well. then I steam the whole thing to set and finish the color.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 15

I love working with petal dust. Make sure you steam them after you color to set it. I use my tea kettle, gives me the perfect steam stream to wave them around in.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks guys..this sounds easier than I thought.

Keep Caking...

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 15

Question from a newbie: how and why do you steam flowers after using petal dust? Is it only flowers that this is done with? I've heard of steaming but never actually heard an explanation of it. Anyone able to fill me in?! Thank you!

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 15

It sets the color so it wont rub off. Its alot easier if you use a tea kettle. Anytime I use petal or luster dust on gumpaste it gets steamed.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 15

if you dont have a tea pot a plain old pot of boiling water does the trick too, brush the dust on dry with a paint brush, then hold above the boiling water for a few seconds at a time, if you hold it there too long your gumpaste/ fondant can get soggy or go soft on you

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #9 of 15

if you dont have a tea pot a plain old pot of boiling water does the trick too, brush the dust on dry with a paint brush, then hold above the boiling water for a few seconds at a time, if you hold it there too long your gumpaste/ fondant can get soggy or go soft on you

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:42am
post #10 of 15

I used petal dust the first time the other day. And I used a small paintbrush and applied it dry. But the end result didnt look natural at all. Even after steaming it, didnt look right. Reckon I was using the wrong dust?

Susie-Woo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie-Woo Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

I used petal dust the first time the other day. And I used a small paintbrush and applied it dry. But the end result didnt look natural at all. Even after steaming it, didnt look right. Reckon I was using the wrong dust?

Maybe you should use a large (wider) brush and put more dust on.... but build the colour gradually because you can't take if off once you've put it on icon_smile.gif

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:28am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for explaining ladies!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #13 of 15

Great thread. Thank you!!

bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 15

I have also used chalk (in the center of my orchids) and it worked well. I used a sm grater to shave it into dust. Got a box of nontoxic in the paint section of Michaels..48 colors for 4.00.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

Petal dust gives you a matte finish and it's great for coloring flowers.

Luster dust and pearl dust give a shimmery effect.

Pearl dust + petal dust = luster dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%