Strange Request

Baking By aggiechef Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm by bonniebakes

aggiechef Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 15

I'm on the hunt for an alligator head cookie cutter. Does anyone know where I can find one? I've looked at many of the recommended websites from CC (YAY for being able to save threads with useful info thumbs_up.gif ), but haven't found anything but the whole alligator. For some strange reason, my customer only wants the head for the cookies and not the entire animal. icon_confused.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lindsey

14 replies
Cookie-Queen Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 15

That is a bit weird...but not weirder than hand-decorated embryos or cancer cells icon_confused.gif (yes, I have made both). I haven't seen any for sale on the cookie cutter websites. If it isn't a large quantity I would make a template with cardboard and cut them by hand.

Otherwise, you can always have a cookie cutter made by a professional (but these normally cost $25+).

Maybe you can buy a big alligator cookie cutter and cut his body off?? Poor guy!

aggiechef Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 15

I'm really trying to get her to go with the whole alligator. It just seems weird to have only a head anyway. icon_confused.gif

The embryos and cancer cells are definitely weirder than my gator head request. I don't suppose you have pictures of those to post on CC, do you? I'd kind of like to see those. icon_lol.gif

Cookie-Queen Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 15

I agree that the whole alligator would be much better/cuter. I never took a photo because, to be honest, I can't imagine eating an embryo (even in the fom of a cookie!) and the cancer cells just looked like purple blobs! lol But I promise I'll take pics of the next weird cookies I get...I usually get atleast a few every year. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck on your alligators!! thumbs_up.gif

TracyLH Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 15

Embryos? icon_confused.gif Cancer cells? Now I have heard it all! I guess we say time and time again, anything can be a cookie, but that takes the cake, er... cookie!

Aggiechef - I don't know how many you need to make, but if it is a large amount, have you thought about making a cutter? I do it all the time if it is more than I wish to cut out by hand. If you need it, here a how-to link by Khalstead here on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

Aluminum flashing is made differently than when she used it and it is no longer foodsafe. Here is a link to a message I posted in the forum about where I get the foodsafe stainless steel I use:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=607066&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Better yet, Bakinccc had the great idea to reform an existing cutter thumbs_up.gif (one you no longer need or buy a large circle or heart, etc.).

all4cake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 15

Isn't there a sports team that just uses the gator head as their logo/symbol/whateverit'scalled?

pipe-dreams Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 15

Florida gators..just use that as your templateicon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 15

The University of Florida - Gators have a gator head as their logo. Google them and you will see their logo, however, it is quite involved but it may work for your cookies. Maybe you can get some strips of brass somewhere and make a cookie cutter from it. I would think you should be able to follow the same directions as are posted for the other cookie cutters. Good luck!!!
evelyn

frstech Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Isn't there a sports team that just uses the gator head as their logo/symbol/whateverit'scalled?

that would be the Florida Gators

all4cake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 15

If nothing else, either use a teardrop shaped cutter and blunt out the pointed end and either add a small round cookie for the eye that sticks beyond the top or shape the tear drop further by bending out an eye area. Dang, print out the gator head logo, use whatever sized metal cutter that will produce the area(preferably one you don't use often) and using the printout as a guide, reshape the cutter to match(it ain't hard but it ain't easy either...just relax and take your time).

yankeegal Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 15

Or you could do a face on a circle cookie or another shape-square, rectangle if that works.
Kinda of like the faces here:
http://www.elenis.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/Elenis.woa/2/wo/Qbt6sqrsOReX8S8cOJZAfg/0.1.3.24.18.0.1.1.4.0.1.1.1?39,38

aggiechef Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm still going to try and talk her into using the whole gator instead of just the head. They're for a basketball team (mascot is the gator), and she wants each girl to have a cookie with their name on it. I think the name would be cute going down the body of the gator so I'm going to pitch it to her and see what she thinks. I'll let you know what she decides.

Honeydukes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 15
TracyLH Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 15

Once again... thanks, Honeydukes! Your idea helped me to step back from how I tend to immediately look at designs with the thought to make a cutter and I really need to work more at using existing shapes. Thanks for the thought! thumbs_up.gif

bonniebakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 15

cookie-queen... that's too funny! I've done white blood cells, red blood cells, and neutrophils for a someone who was in the hospital for chemotherapy. Doesn't sound all that odd to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%