Stenciling On Fondant

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm by bakingatthebeach

Newatdecorating Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to explain this the best I can and hope it makes sense.

I recently went to a cake festival. One of the cakes, a three tier cake, had a music ribbon draped down the side of the cake from the top layer to the cake board. They had stenciled on the ribbon. Made you think of a long stenciled streamer. Their instructions were that it was music note ribbon made of fondant and stenciled with buttercream.

I know this is hard to imagine without seeing it, but I'm wondering how to go about doing it. Should it be done ahead of time or when you are decorating the cake and applied straight to the cake? Would you roll out your fondant, stencil on it and then cut out the ribbon shape?

I did a search and am pretty certain that the musical notes border stencil by Designer Stencils was used to do this. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22836

I would appreciate any advice you can give me!

4 replies
Cakeonista Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 5

I have never done this my self personally but I imagine that if it were the ribbon that was stenciled and draped down the cake, that the ribbon would be cut to size first, then stenciled and then let the bc set a bit and drape down the cake the way you want it to sit. I hope someone that has done this before can answer with certainty but if I had to do it this is what I would attempt. I'll be watching myself, this is a good idea. HTH a little.

bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, was it wide ribbon? I think it was cut first then stenciled and placed on the cake. Knowing me Id have buttercream scraped everywhere trying to get it on the cake lol!

Newatdecorating Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

It was a little wider than the stencil.

I am going to do something and hope I don't get in trouble for it. I'm going to try and post a picture of it.
LL

bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 5

That looks cool. I wouldnt think it would be too hard either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%