Washigntondc

Decorating By Cakey1865 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm by KristyCakes

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone my hubby and I are planning a weekend trip to Washington Dc in about mid May and I was wondering if there is any cakes things going on in the area or if you have any tips as to what to see and how to get around and that type of thing. We will be coming from Mobile Al and have never been there and other than the capital don't know about different sites.
TIA,
Jodi

5 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 6

I live 45 minutes outside of Washington DC and my husband and I go there alot. I don't know if there are any cake things going on but I definately recommend that when you want to see the sites you walk or take the metro train. I am a pro at driving through the city because I had to learn in a blizzard but it is still frustrating. You will get lost very easy because of the one way streets. The metro is very cheap. My husband and I spend $5 a ticket and it lasts all day. We only ride the train once each way though because we like to do alot of walking. Get a map of the city that shows all the monuments so you know which direction to walk to each. If you do ride the metro train then get off at Smithsonian which is where the museums are on The National Mall and it is also in decent walking distance from the monuments. The inside of each metro station has maps on the walls that tell you which color train to ride to get where you want to go. Bring comfortable shoes for walking. Have a good trip.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

Is Lexington Park near Landover?

peanut13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut13 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 6

Lexington Park is not close to Landover...I would guess about an hour away. I actually work in Wash. DC but live in Maryland. Make sure you check out the National Zoo if you have a chance...also Baltimore, Md's Aquarium and Ben's Chili Bowl in DC.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 6

Oh! I was thinking Palmer Park. I used to live in Temple Hills.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6

Be sure to visit the Smithsonian Museums for sure. Also all of the other monuments are beautiful. I think you can buy tickets to go up the Washington Monument online, which may help. The Botanical Gardens are beautiful. If you have access to a car and like Air and Space Museum, you might check out the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum a little futher away on Rt. 28 beside Dulles Airport. Much less crowded than the one in DC. The Baltimore Inner Harbor & National Aquarium there is a great idea. If you can't make it, there is an aquarium in DC, although it's very small and nothing like the experience in Baltimore. Can't think of any cake events going on in Mid-May, only one at the beginning of May in Maryland. Enjoy your vacation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%