Mustang Cake Help

Decorating By vpnich Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm by FlourPots

vpnich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpnich Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a '93 Cobra for my boyfriend's birthday. I'm not real familiar with detailed carved cakes...I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips/techniques on getting the right shape. Thanks.

4 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 5

I would love to know as well. My son has asked for a corvette cake.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 5

I make sculpted cakes more than anything else so I will try to help as much as I can here. It is very hard to describe how to sculpt because I just keep cutting the shape til it looks right to me. When sculpting a shape always start from the top of the cake and work your way down. Don't cut alot of cake off at a time. Basically shave a little at a time working around the cake so you can be sure to get it to look the same on both sides. The basic shape of the car shouldn't be to hard but as far as the tires I suggest that you carve out an area for each tire to go and just make them out of fondant and place them in the carved area. Tires are very hard to carve and get looking right especially with detail. I have also used oreo cookies for tires before. That is for a smaller cake though. If you happen to mess up and cut off too much in a certain spot just glue a piece of cake back on in that spot using buttercream icing and then try again. Trust me when I first started out sculpting I had to do that alot. I made so many mistakes. Don't rush when sculpting. Always take your time so you know that you get it right. I think you will do a good job with it. I hope that some of this has helped you. Good Luck.

vpnich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpnich Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you. I am going to make one prior to his birthday to get rid of the gitters with it and be able to know what I need to do for the one on his birthday! I just needed to hear that I wasn't getting in over my head. Thanks again. Any tips are welcomed.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 5

I just received Mike McCarey's 2 hour Car Cake DVD : http://www.cakenology.com/

It's the best 40 bucks I've ever spent. I LOVED it, and learned SOOOO much.

Here's where I first read about it: http://www.cakescanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6056

Seriously, anyone wanting to attempt a car cake (as I do) must get this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%