I Have Tried And Tried..

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm by BCJean

imamommy1205 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

but I just cannot seem to get my RI flowers right. I know it takes practice, but I can never seem to get it right. I have tried the star tips, the pedal tips, and the drop flower tips. I can never seem to get them right. Any advice? I have been following the direction on Wilton and in some cake decorating books I have. I just cant seem to get it. HELP!

8 replies
7yyrt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 9

What is wrong with them?

Mme_K Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

Have you checked out some of the posts on You tube?
Edna has some great ones! This is the site for her video on daisies & R I....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIeVFbLnipk&feature=channel
good luck.... hope this helps

imamommy1205 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 9

7yyrt, they jsut dont look right. They dont look like pedals when I am using the pedal tip. At least not like the ones I see on wilton. And the roses are just off. I dont know how to explain it.

Thanks for the link Mme_K. I will look for more of her stuff on youtube, maybe it will help icon_smile.gif.

More suggestions PLEASE, if you have em.

CakeMommy3 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:06am
post #5 of 9

Have you thought about the consistency of your icing? If it's too thick you have to use more pressure, and the petals won't look delicate. Too thin, and they will droop. I notice that most of my flower troubles come from the wrong icing consistency. You shouldn't have to use very much pressure to make most of the flowers. I used to sit on the floor in front of the tv for hours practicing flowers...I feel your pain!!

imamommy1205 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 9

The refular consistency RI was too thin, so I did add a little more powdered sugar, but not much. Like a tbsp, I might tweak that a little and see if it helps. I might be applying too much pressure though. Thanks.

kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Post some pix of these flowers you think 'just don't look right'.
Most of us are our own worst critic icon_smile.gif I bet they really are very nice flowers.
Why are you working w/RI? You can do 99% of your flowers with b'cream. To me it is much easier to work with and I have much better results. I can adjust the consistency easier.

imamommy1205 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 9

I was using RI this time bc I was already practicing RI butterfly wings (for an upcoming cake) and it will also need flowers, so I was practicing them as well. I figured if they came out good, I could freeze them and possibly use them on the cake next month. I havent had much luck with them in BC either. The ones I put on a baby shower cake (in my photos) in BC looked ok, but they were just done with a star tip and squeezed on. I dont have any pics of the ones I didnt like, I threw them away. Out of I dunno, 30 flowers, there were about 5 I found acceptable lol. Next time I will take pics though.

I do have some BC prepared in the fridge, I might just practice some more flowers with it too.

BCJean Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 9

Don't get discouraged with those flowers, it will happen someday and you will wonder why you were having so much trouble.

I really prefer working with buttercream instead of royal icing....and the flowers stay soft so you can eat them.

I use a tip #104 for almost all of my flowers. The trick with making flowers is to practice using more pressure and less when making the rose you start out with very little pressure and as you go up and over with the petal you apply more pressure so it forms the curve of the petal. Another thing to remember when making the rose...you have the small end of the tip upwards and the larger end of the tip has to be touching the base icing all the time so it has something to attach to. I personally prefer making my roses on a stick, I find it easier to control the placement of the petals.

If you use a buttercream made with all shortening, and no butter, it is easier to work with for making flowers. Also, if your icing is cool it works easier. If you put your decorating bag, without the tip on, in the refrigerator for maybe 10 minutes it will stiffen the icing but not make it heavy like adding powdered sugar to it does.

Serious_cakes has some clips on youtube showing how to make different flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%