Red Velvet Cake Balls & White Chocolate ?? Do They Mix?

Decorating By Somethin-Sweet Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm by noyhoward

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have any tips for dipping red velvet cake balls in white chocolate? I have to make 6 dozen for a wedding and don't want them to have those nasty looking red specks in them............I'm thinking of maybe pouring the white chocolate over the top..........any other ideas? Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 11

bump.........anyone?

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 11

You may have to dip them twice --

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 11

I just did them this past weekend for Easter...I used Wilton candy melts ( but thinned them a little with some shortening ) and I did dip them twice....after the first coat, I could still see the red velvet cake a little.
Good Luck !
Kristy

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks a bunch! I was hoping I could not hafta "double dip".........but guess I will- LOL!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 11

If you are using the candy melts, maybe you could try using them without thinning ( I did because I didn't want the choc to be too thick)...you might be able to get away with one coat...that is thick stuff !
Have fun with it !

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 11

i know you don't want to double dip, but how about a combo? dip first, then if there are a lot of red speckys, go back over w/ a pour on the top. the pour over the dip would add a neat look - not completely smooth but wht on wht texture.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks bebea! That's why I love yall! I never woulda thought to do that!!!!!!! Yall are all awesome!!!

Another ?? I just thought about- .........the last time I dipped cake balls- I put them in the freezer overnight.......I dipped them frozen but when they started to dry- the chocolate cracked............does anyone know why? Maybe I should have given them a chance to warm up before dipping? Thanks again!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 11

I'd say the freezing overnight caused them to contract and then as they warmed up....they expanded thus causing the cracks. I'd probably only freeze for 10-15 minutes just enough to firm them up.

Beth in KY

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 11

I will try only popping in the freezer a few minutes next time! Thanks again...............When it comes to chocolate- I'm a clueless dumb nut! Cake is more my forte' icon_biggrin.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 11

I did some chocolate cupcake pops the other day & I put the in the freezer for 10-15 mins. They are easier to work with that way & doesn't take long for chocolate & candy melts to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%