Bronwen Cupcake Mystery Technique

Decorating By drakegore Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm by BeeBoos-8599_

drakegore Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 11

i watched the repeat 2005 cupcake challenge last night and saw bronwen doing something with what looked like dipping brass doorknobs in hot sugar. i couldn't catch the name of the technique, but it sounded like "magic flowers" which i KNOW cannot be the name icon_biggrin.gif does anyone know what this technique is called?

thank you!
diane

10 replies
susiehk Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 11

Diane - I watched that same show yesterday. It sounded like Magi Fleurs....I have searched and searched the web - but have yet to find this cool technique.

drakegore Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 11

thank you barbara!
wow, those aren't cheap!
i wonder if you could use any brass decoration (there are so many neat knobs and what not out there) for this technique.
thank you again!
diane

PinkZiab Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 11

They are quite expensive, but if you are actually in the market for them, this site has a smaller set of them a little cheaper:

http://www.pastrychef.com/MAGIC-FLOWERS-MAGYFLEUR_p_10-1524.html

noyhoward Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

Wow,did you see the Price on them!

Dizzymaiden Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

thank you barbara!
wow, those aren't cheap!
i wonder if you could use any brass decoration (there are so many neat knobs and what not out there) for this technique.
thank you again!
diane

Yes you can! I have found some interesting brass dodads at the local antique store. They are really inexpensive. If you are really into this I bet you'll score some cool ones at yard sales.

Happy hunting.

drakegore Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 11

yikes, even at $329 i'd probably have to break my piggy bank icon_smile.gif

i live in newburyport and i bet i could find some neat knobs up my way with all the antiquing that goes on up here!

when they are dipped in melted sugar, is it isomalt? i can't seem to find any instructions on how to do this. i thought it just looked fantastic (but everything she does always looks fantastic),

diane

PinkZiab Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

yikes, even at $329 i'd probably have to break my piggy bank icon_smile.gif

i live in newburyport and i bet i could find some neat knobs up my way with all the antiquing that goes on up here!

when they are dipped in melted sugar, is it isomalt? i can't seem to find any instructions on how to do this. i thought it just looked fantastic (but everything she does always looks fantastic),

diane

You can use sugar or isomalt and you cook the sugar the same as for making molded/poured/cast sugar. They work REALLY well with chocolate (I got to try them in culinary school). You chill the knobs in the freezer and then dip them in. If the knob is cold enough it sets quickly and you can pop it right off. If not, pop it in the freezer for a minute or so then pop it off.

drakegore Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 11

thank you tara!

i am sure the chocolate would be a big hit!

i have never work with molded/poured/cast sugar. can you point me in the direction where i can go to read about doing this? i am sorry to pester.

diane

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 11

Be carefull when using brass itmes you find out there. Most brass is laquered and if your pieces are not just for decoration, you coupld have some problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%