Smooth & Soft Buttercream?

Decorating By lilsugarbug1985 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:31am by lilsugarbug1985

lilsugarbug1985 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 4

i saw an article saying to use viva paper towels to smooth buttercream after it is crusted. is there another way to do that if you can't find viva paper towels. also, what can you add to buttercream to make it soft enough to pipe? i buy mine pre-made at sam's club, so it's kind of stiff even when you mix it. i added water to it once for a cake for myself to eat and it was awesome at first, but after 2 days it was really wet and glossy! i have a BC wedding cake coming up & i want it smooth like fondant.

3 replies
aliciag829 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 4

For smoothing I use parchment paper and my spatula. I know there's a tool out there for making buttercream look more like fondant but I can't find the link right now. Maybe someone else can help?

tracey1970 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 4

On the home page of this site, there is an article down nearer to the bottom of the page about Melvira's smoothing method. I use it on every cake and LOVE it.

As for thinning buttercream (I have never used the icing you are talking about), many people use that colourless corn syrup to do that - maybe less "watery" than water? (I know, that sounds weird) Many people add milk or coffee creamer (liquid) or heavy cream to do the same.

lilsugarbug1985 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

ok. yeah i thought about milk too. i will look for the smoothing method too. thanks you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%