Need Cake Ideas For Tomorrow; Please Help! Having Migraines

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:44am by cherrycakes

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 13

Hi CC friends,

I need to start baking cakes tomorrow to decorate Friday and deliver Friday night. It is for a dear friend. Her mother is turning 80, and her two brothers (uncles) are turning 70 and 65. I am really clueless what to do. I only need the cake to serve 40-45 people. This cake will be traveling about 90 miles after it gets delivered. The only request was it be half chocolate and half white.

I also need to do a small heart cake in memory of an aunt dying. She would like pink roses on this one.

I have been in the hospital with migraines (newly diagnosed) this week and I'm just feeling blah and not very inspired. I just don't have the fortitude tonight to look at a thousand beautiful cake photos...can you understand? icon_cry.gif

I would be very grateful for any ideas, colors, thoughts, etc.

Thanks a ton!

Debbie

12 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 13

I would say a stacked cake with different things on each tier for each person. BUT, traveling that far...I wouldn't personally do iticon_smile.gif So, sorry I can't help, but at least here's a bump!

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #3 of 13

Did she give you any idea of what types of things they like? Gardening, reading, painting....

I know that doesn't help you any but at least it will give you a bump.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 13

I like the tiered idea with neutral colors that coordinate on each tier. If it is for a friend I'm sure she could give you ideas about what their interests are-mother's favorite flower, brothers' hobbies, etc.

Good luck!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #5 of 13

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. It is hard to bake and decorate when you feel ill. I think a sheet cake might be a better way to go for travel. What if you made a large sheet cake and divide it into 3rds for each person's birthday? Do you know something that is a favorite or hobby for each person? You could personalize each third with something and write their name and maybe age on each. You could even make the border on each third different and bring the border down across the cake to help divide it out and to maybe keep from having to put too much extra details on the cake.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 13

Listen, as someonewho gets migraines, I would keep it simple and elegant. You never know if you are going to get hit with a rebound headache.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 13

Hi, so sorry to head about the headaches, icon_cry.gif I get them too and they are very unispiring to say the least. I do have a few Ideas for you. For a smaller heart cake do just a single heart, the silicone pans at kitchen collections are very inexpensive. You could also make ribbon roses for it, using marzipan, fondant, or sugar paste you just cut into strips and roll up. very quick and easy. the other cake, I would do 2 10in cakes, one white and one german choc or devils food. Put the rods in the bottom cake for support and send along with intruction on how to stack. I might use as scroll divider from wilton, you can find them at a Micheals, or sometimes even wal mart. If you do the plate and piller set up you could position the support plate on top of the base cake decorate that cake and the bottom one and then attach the pillars. At the site the top tier can be placed. I would also suggest perhaps decorating the cakes with ribbon. I have found it nice, quick and easy trick that make a very pretty outlook. I use ribbon that I have bought at wal mart or the dollar tree. The kind I prefer is like a stiff tulle, irridecent and has nice firm edgeing. This kind of ribbon has not yet bled color onto the icing for me and is available in many colors and pattens. good luck and I hope the migraines get better soon.

Angie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #8 of 13

Since it will be traveling a good distance after you deliver it I suggest keeping it rather simple - a sheet or just 2 tiers. You don't say how many servings it needs to be so can't help there.
If you have any idea what they like it would help a lot. Colors? Is the pink heart going to be totally separate or do you want to incorporate it into the design?
I've seen a few people combine the #s and use the total .... like here you would have 225 - make that the top of the cake in a rather size; cut fondant #s. If they don't dry in time coat the back w/melted choco - whatever color works.
Then each person's age is somehow incorporated w/their name.
Oh. that just made an idea pop into my head that I did yrs ago. Using a sheet cake make two decorative boarders one smaller than the other so you have room to write their names inthe area between the two;Then add the HB in the center. .......uuuugggg it's hard to explain. sure wish I knew how to attach a sketch for you.

Here are a few other ideas that might help you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/thumb_cho-sheet_bday.jpg
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/thumb_floralsheet.jpg
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1172206

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 13

I can not find it but there is a couple of cakes here that are sheet cakes but with three different themes in different levels, i think it has basket weave on the sides maybe someone has it saved in their faves , i think that would be a good idea and easy to transport icon_smile.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 13

I am, unfortunately, a migrainer too. I will say a pray for you.

I would go with a easy to pull off cake, fondant bows and polka dots. I would stack 2 cakes (10 and 6 ro 12 and icon_cool.gif They look impressive, but fairly easy to do.

For the heart, 6' with ribbon roses and a pink ribbon around the bottom.

Best to you!

Hazel

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #11 of 13

Since you need only 40 to 45 servings, I would say a sheet cake, 12 x 18, I think I might divide the cake into 3 parts, by making three ovals, with the Mother the eldest in the middle, you can say Happy Birthday, and add a few flowers to her oval, for the brothers, you can again write a birthday message, if you can find out what they like to do, make a small figure fishing, or hunting, what ever their interest is, and place that in the oval on one side next to the birthday greeting. around the edge of the ovals, I would do cornelli lace. That's about the best I can come up with, hope it gets your mind going.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #12 of 13

Let see 3 people and simple easy to travel......on one board 3 two layer one larger, a medium and a small. ( i really wish i could draw on here.)

do lines, vertical on one, horizonal on the other for the men. Dots on the womans. all in similar colors so you can shade up or lighten it down.

When you place the cakes make in the shape of comma going from large to small.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #13 of 13

You didn't say if you are going to make separate cakes but I love this one for an 80th. I also think that a sheet cake or a flat cake may travel better. Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=28808

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%