Prepared To Sound Like An Idiot (Piping Questions).

Decorating By forthwife Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm by forthwife

forthwife Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 8

I very much dislike buttercream (I'm referring to American "shortening" buttercream). I can't stand the fatty taste in the shortening. However, I'm learning to pipe and it can't be done with my icing (butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and flavorings) as it's WAY too soft. Can you pipe IMBC or SMBC? What are my other options? Thanks!!

Arainna Forth

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, as an exclusive SMBC user, I pipe simple borders, haven't attempted flowers (wouldn't anyways, I make them with gumpaste). I know it can be done though!

jmt1714 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 8

so make your buttercream with actual butter. I do, and it pipes beautifully.

7yyrt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 8

All butter buttercream or royal both work fine.

forthwife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 8

Can I make all butter buttercream in Florida and have any hopes of it not melting in less than 20 minutes? Thanks!

dogwood Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

I personally wouldn't try to use all butter buttercream in Florida's heat. I've had trouble with mine getting to warm and melting right off the cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

Can I make all butter buttercream in Florida and have any hopes of it not melting in less than 20 minutes? Thanks!

I live in a climate similar to Florida at times, heavy humidity one day, dry and hot the next (always hot with the humidity, but anyways)....so I tell my clients, your reception must must MUST be indoors in cool climate, no ifs ands or buts. I use SMBC, so heat and humidity would destroy it! No probs so far.

forthwife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 8

Which would be softer (i.e. melt faster) IMBC, SMBC or an all butter buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%