Ok Cakies :-) Need Some How Too Advice.

Decorating By CourtneysCustomCakes Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm by CourtneysCustomCakes

CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a Hat Box Cake. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make one of these. I'm pretty sure I have the box down but I only have a couple Ideas on making the box top. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
cCc

5 replies
patticakesnc Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

What kind are you looking to make. Open top, closed top?

artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

I'm looking for this myself for a couple of mother's day cakes for mother and mother in law.
I'm looking to do one with a partially opened top with flowers coming out of the opening. I'm wondering about the support for the lid. I imagine a dowel or two among the flower stems will prop the front open. But what keeps the whole top from sliding off the back? And does the whole weight of the lid rest on the back edge of the bottom layer?

artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 6
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 6

Open Top. It's going to have flowers coming out between the top and bottom.

CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the link. That top looks very solid. I've seen some that are formed they actually look like box tops. I have an idea of forming it around the bottom of a cake pan but I don't know if that will work.

But that's just me jump in with both feet into something I don't know. What a better way to learn but to force myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%