Scroll Work?

Decorating By nicolesprinkle Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:40am by cas17

nicolesprinkle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone give me pointers on doing scroll work? I have never done it before and have a cake order in May for a 2 tier white with black scroll work. Thanks in advance!

13 replies
Marmette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 14

oh yes im really interested in this one too

saberger Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 14

me too!

Lidunka25 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 14

Well,... I hate to do scroll work, and I suck at it heheh, but I will try to help. For this one I used Wilton stencils

If I will have to do it again, I will draw my own scroll work on paper (or print from net. Then I will trace it on parchment paper, which I will put on the cake, and with needle (or the other pointy thing to use for pin pictures on boards) make tiny holes tracing the scroll work. Take the parchmen paper off and u will see the tiny dots which u will follow with your piping bag.... do u get what I mean?

nicolesprinkle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 14

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 14

Scrolls like my cake here?:

Took templates or pin pricking, just a steady hand. Helps to have a well chilled cake so you can put that tip on the surface and not have swags of your piping string pull out and fall all wonky and out of round. Use a turntable as well.

cas17 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 14

for my cake i used the c's from the wilton decorator favorites pattern press set just randomly placing them around the cake. i piped an extra swirl here and there where i thought it would look right. and yes it's better to wait until your BC is well crusted.

arosstx Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 14

Like Jamie says, it takes getting your hand used to making the motion of the scroll to really make it look nice on a cake. You can look at any of mine posted (and there are several) - they are all done freehand. The more you do them, the better you get.

Put some that you like on paper cover with a clear cutting board or wax paper - something you can scrape off to reuse the icing (not to eat, just to practice). Then trace them and eventually your hand will get used to that motion. Then try that motion on the sides of a styrofoam dummy cake, or anything vertical to mimic the side of a cake.

It will take some practice, but probably not much. Then once you get good at it EVERYONE sees it and wants it, so you'll get plenty of practice, haha.

ddaigle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 14

I find if the icing is soft and use a #3 tip, I can do pretty good scrolls. Start with a simple side ways "S" and add on fancy stuff as you feel more comfortable. Also for scrolls on the side of the cake...make sure you are eye-level with your scrollwork.

drakegore Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #10 of 14

i have two questions on the scrollwork (one may be reaaaaaally dumb).

how do you get eye level? are you scrunching down or sticking your turntable up on something? (this is the dumb one, lol).

when you do the scrollwork on the side, are you tilting the cake?

arosstx Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #11 of 14

To get my cakes at eye level, I use an empty bucket turned upside down. An empty 20lb Satin Ice Fondant bucket works perfect for this!

Really makes a difference to have your cake up where you can work on it.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #12 of 14

I have a swiveling retro bar stool, it goes up and down as I need it. Sometimes, I put an upside down cake pan under the turntable if need be too.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:37am
post #13 of 14
Originally Posted by drakegore

when you do the scrollwork on the side, are you tilting the cake?

I have done that on occasion too!

cas17 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #14 of 14

i usually have the cake on a turntable that is on my kitchen table then i sit on a low footstool that puts me at eye level. i have also used a tilting turntable and various other things like fondant buckets to get the cake at eye level. hey, whatever works but scrunching, try not to do that as i can't really keep my hand steady if i'm also trying not to fall over on the cake, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%