Springform Pan For Cakes?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm by tallgood

kjskid Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I read through some threads, so I know it's possible to use a springform pan to make cakes in. For those who have done it, what's the best way? Do you have to line the whole thing with aluminum foil so it won't leak? Or can you just use it like a regular cake pan. I realize it won't start out as neat and straight as a regular pan, but I'd rather not have to buy new pans if I don't have to.

3 replies
mariela_ms Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 4

I've used it without lining it with aluminum foil or anything. The cakes don't seem to rise as much but they work. Good luck, I would liketo hear more tips on this one too! I only use it for my 10 in. I dont have a round 10 in and I am cheap like that. lol

CakesByLJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 4

I bake in them all the time.. in fact I prefer them. I have the magic line type, which do not have the spring loaded sides, but are tall and have removable bottoms. I never line them with parchment, as a rule, and they never leak. Be sure to use a flower nail for even heating.. hth

tallgood Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, I'm new here on CC and I see you are too. I have learned sooo much here and am now completely hooked.

Several months ago I needed a 6" pan, didn't have a typical 6" baking pan so dived right in and used my 6" springform pan. It worked sooo great! I used the Wilton cake release, used a nail in the bottom of the pan, and baked. It did have to bake a little longer tho. It didn't leak and had a wonderful sharp edge to the bottom. I leveled the top, flipped over, torted and iced bottoms up.

Since there are only 2 of us, I bought a second 6"er last week and plan to make 2 at a time with one cake mix, then freeze one. Can't have too much cake just laying around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%