Dry And Crumbly Nfsc

Baking By toleshed Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm by Schmulie65

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 14

My batch yesterday came out like that and I remember not too long ago there was a thread on it. I can't find it and wondered if anyone remembers why it would have done that? Its certainly not hot here yet and my ingredients were correct. The finished cookie is hard also.
Thanks all

13 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 14

sounds like something was off with the measurements. were your eggs smaller than normal? flour too densely packed? etc? ratio of dry to wet might be off.

toleshed Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 14

hmmm- interesting about the eggs. Thats possible. Thanks

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 14

I've found that if I add my dry ingredients too quickly it can result in a dry crumbly mess. Try adding the flour a cup or so at a time. A bit of kneading helps, too. Also, try adding a little milk.

Sometimes, I think it's just a will of the Gods that the dough doesn't turn out right. (The Candy Gods are much harsher so we should consider ourselves lucky! icon_lol.gif )

edited to add: I think the egg idea is quite valid. Maybe the addition of a little liquid will help.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 14

I make these all the time and I always add one less cup of flour because I do not refrigerate the dough, I roll them out right away and I usually don't have any problems. Also, I use XL eggs.

toleshed Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:03am
post #6 of 14

Will try these ideas. I went back through my ingredients and I know everything was correct. I make these all the time. I think your right Honeydukes - the will of the Gods was smiling at me. icon_smile.gif

toleshed Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:04am
post #7 of 14

Will try these ideas. I went back through my ingredients and I know everything was correct. I make these all the time. I think your right Honeydukes - the will of the Gods wasn't smiling at me. icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:59am
post #8 of 14

Don't feel too bad cuz the same thing happened to me when i tried the recipe both times. Since everyone here raves about them, i will try them again and just add the flour slowly till i get the dough just about workable and then knead in the rest if needed.

toleshed Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:08am
post #9 of 14

aah luv2bake6
maybe it was you that posted a week or 2 ago? Mine never come out this way. So I'm not sure what happened. Luckily it wasn't an order. I just wanted to take some pictures then dh eats them. lol
Oh well.

Amifsud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amifsud Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 14

I don't know if this helps but try it. When measuring the flour put the flour in the measuring cup with a spoon then run a knife across the top. If you put the measuring cup in the flour directly it packs in too much flour. I have never had a problem with this recipe. Hope it helps.
Annette

toleshed Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks Annette
However, I weigh my flour. But I'll remember that tip

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 14

I havent had a chance to try this recipe again yet but i will definately give it another go by adding the flour slowly and just stopping when it looks good enough (not really following the recipe's 6 cup count). I want it to work cuz it seems as if everyone here uses this recipe and has had great success with it. I am an experienced baker so i'm determined to see what my problem was initially.

toleshed Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #13 of 14

Well keep me posted luv2bake6. I've been making these for a long time also so can't understand what happened.
Thanks

Schmulie65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmulie65 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 14

It seems lately that when I've finished a batch of cookies for a bouquet I'll turn the cookie over and it seems like there are air pockets (for lack of a better word). I've had a few cookies crumble around a stick from this. When I first started making these cookies, I didn't have a problem. Could it be over mixing? They are not dry, but seem like they are not solid. Thanks!

Schmulie65 icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%