Great American Bake Sale- Lots Of Help Needed! Plz

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm by sambugjoebear

shell62995 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 13

A mom from my MOPS group just contacted me asking me to help out w/ donating some baked goods. Here are some of my questions-
I know they want a cake. What theme would sale well?
The sale will be outside and I'm in texas!- How is that going to work w/ bc?
She said that this would be a great way to let more ppl know about my cakes so I want them to look great and taste great. More importantly, I want to raise so money for out food bank!
Would mini cakes be a good idea?
How should I package them?
Do I neeed to come up with the asking prices?
I have time. Its not till May 16th.
Thanks for reading this!

12 replies
mcdonald Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 13

If it were me, I wouldn't mess with mini cupcakes... a lot of time, too little and probably won't bring a lot of money... just my thoughts. If I am buying baked goods, I want a CUPCAKE!!!

I would make up several flavors and package them where you have a variety in each box. I always cover my cake board with some sort of matching scrapbooking paper and then I always wrap my boxes with a coordinating ribbon with a bow on top. Makes it feel "dressed up" and special. Feels like a value.. rather than just putting them in a box and "here ya go". I have been picking up some boxes from Hobby Lobby that have the clear top so you can see in the box. Haven't stopped to order them yet.

I would do a variety such as lemon, choco, wasc, maybe raspberry, or whatever flavors you think are your best.

msulli10 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 13

What if you made a few cakes and then raffled them off? That might bring in a lot of money.

scoutmamma Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 13

anything you do is a big help and a great step in the right direction... I would do a cross section of what you do well, if you do cookies, a dz on a plate usually go well. decorated cookies hold up well outdoors as well. if you are really good at cupcakes, do them. if you are hoping to advertise, then sell what you are good at~!

sweetcakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 13

Our cake club is also doing the Great American Bake sale the day before mothers day. Everything needs to be individually wrapped so there is no touching of actually food. Because of our timing we might have a couple of 6" decorated cakes (mothers day theme) otherwise it will be cupcakes, cookies, sweet treats. something that will be bought and eaten.

confectioneista Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 13

I used to be a MOPS mom so maybe I can help a bit. As for theme, ask your friend what this year's MOPS theme is. For instance, one time it was "sailing through life's challenges", so a lighthouse or sailboat was used as a theme prop. Hearts would also be a good cake theme because a heart is the logo for MOPS. I wouldn't use their exact logo, of course, because of copyright issues. Flowers are good (springtime ya know). Cute stuff - moms love cute stuff!

If you're working with BC, keep things in the shade or in a cooler if you can and bring products out as needed, maybe?

If your friend is asking you to donate the baked goods you may not be able to have prices for these at all. But if you are able to sell your products then be sure to advertise clearly that you are raising money for the food bank, and maybe instead of having "set" prices you could ask people to "pay" what they think the product is worth. I saw where a cafe owner did this to help with the recession in his area. He erased all the prices for his coffees and sandwiches and asked his customers to pay what they felt was reasonable and surprisingly people were generous for the most part.

Mini cakes would be cute; cupcakes and/or cookies may work well, too. Kinda depends on how much time you're able to commit to this. Something you want to consider though is knowing how many moms would be turning out for this so you have enough product to sell.

Packaging, if you're doing cookies - clear baggies with ties (you can get these from Walmart or a hobby store in the cake decorating aisle). As for the cakes and/or cupcakes - use cake boxes of the appropriate size (make sure you have a cardboard support in the bottom, though). Again, you can get the boxes from the same places as the baggies. Then you can make labels with your info on it and help promote your biz that way, too. Don't forget to have plenty of biz cards available too!

Good luck with this! HTH icon_smile.gif

bebea Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 13

cupcakes are always great for a bake sale - they are usually sold individually and kids love them! i am doing some for our kids' school spring fling this weekend myself. i would def do a couple of simple cakes if you have time, too. guys love buying sweets, too, so don't go too cutsey on all of them. using the colors of the local high schools always goes over well, too, esp since graduation time is coming up - great way to get some graduation party business!

and try to do something different - i am doing a bright colored pull apart cake for the cake walk and football themed cupcakes for the country store.

shell62995 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 13

thanks for all the great ideas! single pkg cupcakes and school theme colors are awesome ideas. Being in Texas football is a huge deal!!
now i have to find cheap pkg for single cuppies. $1 plus ship for one is more than i want to invest

Cakey1865 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 13

Ok stupid question but whats MOPS?

shell62995 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 13

Mothers Of Preschoolers
http://www.mops.org/

Baking_Booth Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 13

I think your best bet as far as raising a lot of money would be a raffle! You'll be able to make more on just the one raffle cake than you would if you just sold it to someone.

shell62995 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking_Booth

I think your best bet as far as raising a lot of money would be a raffle! You'll be able to make more on just the one raffle cake than you would if you just sold it to someone.

If I raffled a cake, how much would I charge a ticket? Its a neat idea. That way I could make just one nice cake and the rest cupcakes and maybe some cookies.

sambugjoebear Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 13

When the schools here are selling raffle tickets they sell them $1 per ticket or $5 for 6 tickets. Usually works out well because most ppl will buy all six tickets (they usually come in a 6 pk booklet). Plus, it's for a good cause, so you'd probably have an even better selling-rate.

Best of luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%