My Whipped Icing Is Liquid!!!!!

Baking By Ayanami Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm by JanH

Ayanami Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 3

icon_surprised.gif

HELP!

I made a large batch of whipped icing for my nephews b-day cake (due in 4 hours) & it is like pure liquid!

The recipe is
1 tub cool whip
1 (3.5oz) box instant pudding mmix
1 cup milk
1tsp vanilla

I tripled the recipe to cover the size cake I made, but this stuff is just watery liquid! i have had it in the fridge now for about 30-45 minutes thinking that would stiffen it up, but no. still runny.

I can't ice the cake in this stuff! Do I have to scrape the entire batch & start over?

Was is because I used my mixer? Maybe I shouldn't have used the mixer ... icon_confused.gif

can I salvage this recipe?

PLEASE HELP! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 3

Are you sure there's not supposed to be some powdered sugar in there somewhere? Otherwise it looks like you're just making pudding. ANd cool whip will break down eventually (although not near as bad as the whipped-cream-in-a-can stuff).

JanH Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 3

The directions for the Cool Whip frosting recipe on www.recipezaar.com state the milk and pudding should be beaten for 2 minutes with a wire whisk. Then gently fold in whipped topping:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Cool-Whip-Frosting-108808

Beating the mixture with an electric hand or stand mixer seems to have been more than the emulsifiers in the Cool Whip could handle.

You can always add more pudding to thicken up the mixture...

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%