Any Ideas On How To Charge For Cake Decorating Lessons

Decorating By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 11:45am by Monkess

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 6

It's funny I was just thinking the other day that it would be fun to teach classes but I'm against teaching for Wilton b/c I don't agree with all of their methods and promoting their offense to anyone who teaches for them....I had a wonderful Wilton instructor.

Anyway, so I had someone also tell me they had thought I should be teaching either cake decorating or some kind of cooking class. And, then the very next day I get an email asking me if I teach classes or lessons....seems like maybe I should go in this direction!

Does anyone have any idea what to charge for one-on-one cake decorating lessons? Or classes? Wonder if I need a special license or if I can just teach what I know? Any info from those of you who do this would be great. Thanks!

5 replies
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 6

anyone? I know someone must teach classes or have an idea what to charge?? Thanks!

kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 6

I have charged $25 per 4 lessons - minimum 2 hrs. each. Very similar to Wilton's fees.
Don't provide any equipment......student would have to obtain that themselves. Sometimes maybe some icing.

alanaj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 6

This just happened to me as well. I was given some advice by an accomplished caterer friend of mine who was concerned I would undercharge. For a private one on one lesson I charged $150 for 2 hours. About $40-$50 of that was supplies, icing, etc. The customer provided the cake she wanted to work on. We did lots of BC techniques and flowers and cupcake filling and frosting. Pretty basic stuff but I tailored it to what she wanted. HTH

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 6

great thanks! I was also afraid that I would undercharge

Monkess Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #6 of 6

Rather than bill a certain $ per hour I would rather make a course detailing what they will learn and then charge a flat fee with no material-other than food. They bring their own equipment essentially. Around here such classes range from $150-250 for a course of 2-3 days with about 3-4 hours each.
You can also market yourself better if you offer several short topic oriented courses. Good luck-I love teaching!

Quote by @%username% on %date%