Weighing Ingredients...

Decorating By pinkflower1212 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm by xstitcher

pinkflower1212 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking to start weighing my ingredients so that my baking turns out the same every time (whether it be for cakes, cookies etc). Is there a chart or conversion table that shows 1 C Flour is = to X ounces?

Also can anyone recommend a good digital scale that isn't going to set me back a pretty penny?

4 replies
lilthorner Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

there are plenty of charts online, I almost always use google like 1 cup flour to ounces and some sites will come up. then i write down the weight on my recipe so I don't have to google that question again.

as for a scale, if you have bed bath and beyond around you they shoudl carry some pretty nifty scales. I got mine form linens n things whihc is now closex but it was like 20 or 30 bucks.. it uses a 9 volt which is the only thing I hate.

make sure u get a scale that can "tare" or zero out and that will display grams as well as ounces.. I use grams the most,makes it easier to 1/2 and even 1/4 a recipe

BCo Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

Or you can just do a recipe and measure/weigh as you go then make sure you write it down in your recipe as you go. That's what I did with my Hi Ratio Shortening. It comes in a 50lb cube so I used rubbermaid containers and sat them on my scale, zeroed it out and then measured 6 cups of shortening and placed it in the container - it calculated the weight and I wrote it down for future reference. Then I took the remaining containers and just put them on my scale and instead of having to measure out the 6 cups I just filled up the container until the scale measured the weight that I had previously figured out the first time around!! So much quicker and easier (and less messy) this way. Now all I have to do is grab a container that's premeasured off the shelf and dump it into my mixer, such a time saver!....I always wanted a scale and finally got around to getting one and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Even if I ever just used it for shortening it was worth it to me!!! So much easier to weigh that messy stuff then have to measure it out by the cupful! My scale I think was around $30 also. Bed Bath & Beyond has a bunch of them in a few different price ranges! Get one, it's well worth it!

pinkflower1212 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks both for the information. Off to Bed Bath & Beyond, oh and I think a coupon came in the yesterday for $5 off. that's even better! Thanks again!

xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

I'm looking to start weighing my ingredients so that my baking turns out the same every time (whether it be for cakes, cookies etc). Is there a chart or conversion table that shows 1 C Flour is = to X ounces?

Also can anyone recommend a good digital scale that isn't going to set me back a pretty penny?

If you look at the nutritional label on the sides/backs of most food items it will tell you some measurement info.

For example (I'm not actually looking at a label so these are all made up values):

1/4 cup flour = 30g
then 1 cup would be 120g
120g = 4.23 oz (from conversion calculator on-line).

here's another ex.

1 tsp sugar = 4g

48 tsp = 1 cup

48 * 4 = 192 g = 1 cup sugar

again you can use any of the conversion calculators on-line to easily convert from grams to ounces OR you can buy a scale that has both these options in it (KG/grams and Pounds/Ounces options plus the tare function). I personally think it's best to have a scale that has all these options that way you don't have to convert any given recipe or measurement.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%