How Far In Advance

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm by lilthorner

kimmyboo925 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all.. Just wondering how far in advance I can apply fondant to a chocolate cake with almond buttercream filling. And if it has to be refridgerated? I have one cake going out for saturday and one for sunday. I want to get them both done asap.

5 replies
cricket0616 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

I am not an expert, but it is my understanding that you should not put a fondant cake in the refrigerator. If I am wrong, someone please let me know.

brincess_b Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

some fondants do not do well in the fridge, but some are better than others. you can get problems with condensation.
does the filling actually need reridgerated? cause a fondant covered cake will keep perfectly for a couple of days anyway.
xx

wendalynn11 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

Unless the filling needs to be refrigerated then you can leave it out. I do put cakes covered with fondant in the refrigerator if the filling is perishable all of the time though with no problems. Just make sure you don't touch the fondant until the condensation is gone once you take it out the of fridge though. The cake does tend to dry out in the fridge though, so if you can leave it out it will taste better. Make sure you have frozen the cake previously to ensure it is as moist as you can get it first.

kimmyboo925 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 6

the filling is going to be the solo almond mixed with buttercream for one and the solo strawberry mixed with buttercream for the other. Both say on the cans refridgerate after opening. But I was thinking that meant if there was leftover still in the jars.

lilthorner Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 6

you can put a fondant cake in the fridge, it will sweat or form condensation when you take it out, don't touch it, it will absorb back into the cake. there are some fondants that fare better than others though I'm sure.. I have refrig'd satin ice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%