Crisco

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:28am by chelleb1974

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 9

If you do let me know how. I am looking for a pure white frosting using Crisco.

8 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 9

Pure white icing.

1 Cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
4 cups sifted powered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Mix crisco and flavoring until creamy. Add 1/2 the p.s., mix well. Add remaining p.s. Add milk(more or less depending on consistency desired) and mix well. Store in fridge in airtight container!

rottieluvr2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rottieluvr2000 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 9

Be advised that to get pure white icing you must use clear flavorings. You can also substitute the milk in pipe-dreams recipe with water that way you don't have to store it in the fridge.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr2000

You can also substitute the milk in pipe-dreams recipe with water that way you don't have to store it in the fridge.

It's not necessary to refrigerate most American buttercreams even when the liquid is not water, i.e., milk or cream and the fat used is butter/margarine.

Here's a previous thread on this subject which explains the science:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617882-.html

HTH

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 9

Oh my gosh..thanks so much rottieluvr...I totally forgot that part. I almost always use pure white, and only have clear vanilla in my pantry. OP would have been SO pissed at me! icon_redface.gif

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 9

I've found that when I use Crisco, when I add coloring it starts to seperate. The BC won't take the color, regardless of what recipe I use. I've read/been told it's because of Crisco being trans fat free.

Lately I've been using store brand "crisco" and haven't had this problem as the store brands still have trans fat in them.

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, is it true that it's because of the trans fat?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyMakesCake

I've found that when I use Crisco, when I add coloring it starts to seperate. The BC won't take the color, regardless of what recipe I use. I've read/been told it's because of Crisco being trans fat free.

Lately I've been using store brand "crisco" and haven't had this problem as the store brands still have trans fat in them.

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, is it true that it's because of the trans fat?

I've not run into that. Sometimes if I use the powdered coloring, it doesnt' blend as well, but other than that, I've had no issues. (I never even noticed when Crisco went zero trans and couldn't figure out what the big hub-bub was all about. Mine was working fine.)

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've not run into that. Sometimes if I use the powdered coloring, it doesnt' blend as well, but other than that, I've had no issues. (I never even noticed when Crisco went zero trans and couldn't figure out what the big hub-bub was all about. Mine was working fine.)

I have to second what indydebi said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%