Help! I Think I Screwed Up Something!

Decorating By Munchkinette Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm by bakingatthebeach

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

My cakes are only an inch tall! I feel like they are suppose to be taller. I used 2 - 9 inch round cake pans with a Duncan Hines cake mix. I was shocked when I turned them out on to the wire racks to cool. Are they suppose to be that way or did I do something wrong?

Becky

4 replies
jennafezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennafezz Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 5

yep, that sounds about right, especially if the cake was higher in the middle and an inch at the sides.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

Did you only use one box and split it between the two pans? If so, then that's why they are so short-not enough batter. I fill my pans 3/4 of the way full, so that the sides bake all the way to the top of the pan, then I level it. And bake at 325 degrees to help minimize the hump. HTH

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 5

[quote=" I fill my pans 3/4 of the way full, so that the sides bake all the way to the top of the pan, then I level it. And bake at 325 degrees to help minimize the hump. HTH[/quote]

Ditto

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 5

I have used one mix for 9in pans and say my prayers that it rises to the top during baking. I use the bake even strips but it is alot easier to just use 2 mixes and fill 3/4 way up. Use left over batter for cupcakes ( I give these to my neighbor kids and feed the gluttons at workicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%