How Do You Think This Cake Is Supported?

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm by imamommy1205

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 15

How would you support this cake?

I PMed Jen 1979 (the caker who did this cake), but she hasn't posted in a forum since 2007, so I don't know if she's active on the site anymore. (I also looked at her myspace profile listed as her website and she hasn't been on that since 2008.)

I'm wondering if I should just put a dowel in each block, under each hexagon corner (or does it need 2 in each block), or if I need something in the middle too. I love this design and would like to try to do it this weekend for a friend's shower. (I'm making it at the church where the shower will be, so I don't have to worry about transporting it.)

Does this sound correct? I counted up either 56 or 68 servings for it as shown. (20 for the 2" hex (12 in pan) and either 36 or 48 for the 6- 4x4x4" blocks, depending on if I cut the blocks for 6 or 8 servings.) She's a pastor's wife, so there will probably be a lot of ladies at the shower.

Thanks!!

14 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 15

As long as the board the hexagon is on is strong enough (doesn't sag when picked up) you should be fine with the single dowel under each corner. You might consider making the blocks just slightly bigger for a little more support... not a lot of extra work, just a bigger cake to cut and stack. Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 15

Agree w/ her ^^^^ icon_smile.gif

shannon100 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about a stronger board! I'm so glad you mentioned that! My way would have been a disaster!! Do you think 2 cake boards/cardboard layers will be enough, or should I do 3? (I don't have a supply store near, so foamcore is out.)

My hexagon is going to be smaller than the one in the pic, so my blocks will be closer together. I was also thinking I'll put the blocks a little further under the hex. But if the hex is on dowels, does it really matter how big the blocks are, since technically they aren't supporting the cake? (Not being snarky, asking an honest question.)

j-pal Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 15

If the hexagon is going to be smaller and the blocks closer together, than you don't really need to make them any larger (the blocks, that is). The reason I suggested going with a bigger block is that if the hexagon is only sitting on a small corner of the block, then the dowel is very close to the edge of the cake and is much more apt to move around, or possibly even slip out altogether. The weight of the hexagon IS supposed to be on the dowel, but the dowel is held upright by whatever cake it's in and the closer to the outside of the cake it sits, the less support the dowel has. Does that make sense? In fact, sometimes putting a dowel into the cake too close to the edge is enough to make the cake crack. Hope I wasn't too confusing!

j-pal Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 15

Oh - and btw - yes I think if it's a smaller hex, still a one-layer cake with the blocks shoved in a little closer, than double cardboards should be sufficient.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

As long as the board the hexagon is on is strong enough (doesn't sag when picked up) you should be fine with the single dowel under each corner. You might consider making the blocks just slightly bigger for a little more support... not a lot of extra work, just a bigger cake to cut and stack. Good luck!

ditto thumbs_up.gif

shannon100 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for explaining that, j-pal. That makes a lot of sense. I'll post pics when I'm done, if I end up doing this design. I'm still trying to decide. I'm a little nervous about it!

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 15

I made a cake similar to this one but round , and I supported it with a block of styrofoam under the bigger cake right under in the middle and of course covered it it nice paper (it doesn't show anyway) cut just a little taller that the smaller cakes will be. I did not put any dowel rods in the smaller cakes.They just fit perfect under but are not supporting the weight of the big cake, the styrofoam does.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 15

.......... supported it with a block of styrofoam under the bigger cake right under in the middle........

Yes, a small block of styro would be a big help in making sure the center doesn't cave in icon_smile.gif It doesn't have to be very big, just the right heigth.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 15

I was also going to suggest the styrofoam under the center. Also, if you put the large cake on a plastic plate, the plate will support the center fine. (Did a wedding cake similar to this and it worked this way).

shannon100 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for all the advice. Here's the cake. I have mixed feelings on it.

I used a styrofoam block under it, and put dowels in 2 of the back blocks. (It was only set up about 20 minutes before we cut into it, so I didn't need more.) Everyone loved it, but I see it with my caking eyes and don't really like it.

I've never frosted a cut cake before, and those blocks were awful to frost! I'm still trying to figure out the best way for crumb coating. Even when I crumb-coated it and put another layer of frosting on, I still get crumbs in my outer layer! I guess I play with it too much. Part of the problem was in my head. We were about to start frosting it (the mother-to-be was "playing" with me, working on the cake too.) and we found out we were under tornado warning!! I was 40 minutes away from home, and they were too, so I was worried about my husband and my neighbor (she's 91!). By the time we got back to the cake, I was so ready to be done that I just didn't care like I should have. It rained all day and night and this morning too, and I think some of my buttercream work sagged. It didn't look so messy last night, and of course I didn't take pics last night. icon_sad.gif Oh well. Everyone at the shower LOVED it, so that's what counts, right? At least it tasted delicious, even with crumbs in the icing!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 15

I think you did a really fantastic job. Especially with all of the distractions you had! thumbs_up.gif

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 15

Styrofoam under seems to be the easiest and you know it will be supported well. I love all the neat ideas cc members have. Sure helps me! icon_lol.gif

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 15

I think it looks great icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%