What To Charge?

Decorating By onemissa Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 1:14am by leah_s

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 4

A coworker wants me to make a cake for her daughters birthday and I'm not really sure how much to charge for this particular cake design. She wants the "12 Dancing Princesses" from Debbie Brown's Enchanted book. I would like to quote her for using fondant. I also thought there might be a way to do it entirely in buttercream using the mini doll picks and I would like to give her a quote for that because I thought it might be cheaper. Also, I did call a local bakery that I know makes specialty cakes and she quoted $200, but that seems alittle high to me. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. TIA!
LL

3 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 4

First of all take into account the cost of ingredients and supplies and then also the time and labor you will have to put into it. Also don't forget a profit amount. I don't think $200 is too high. I wouldn't charge any less than $100 myself. Of course I have all my prices matching bakeries as far as 2 hours drive from me. Hope that helps you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4

That's a very cute cake! But it's also quite detailed. You should probably do at least $150-$175.

Think about it. If you charged $10 for each princess that would be $120. And that's probably cheap for something like that. Plus the cake that the princesses are sitting on.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 4

I wouldn't do the princesses less than $15 each, and I'd seriously want $20. Plus the middle cake. I think $200 is a STEAL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%