Ribbon On Cake Emergency

Decorating By Cakelady232 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 1:36am by bakingatthebeach

Cakelady232 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 15

Green satin ribbon on cake. Ironed it between waxed paper and freezer paper. Neither works. ribbon is soaked with grease from the buttercream. HELP! Need this for Saturday

14 replies
Atomikjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 15

I've seen people suggest putting a piece of wax paper on the back of the ribbon the width of the ribbon and wrapping it around so the wax paper is against the cake so the ribbon doesn't get greasy.

Shelly4481 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 15

I put ribbon on alot of cakes and never had the grease problem. I don't do anything to the ribbon. I let my cake sit and crust well for 3-4 hours then put ribbon on. Always works for me. Good luck

dtmc Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 15

I find that clear contact paper works good. Just put on the back of the ribbon and cut the excess off. HTH!

Jayde Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

I find that clear contact paper works good. Just put on the back of the ribbon and cut the excess off. HTH!

I find when all else fails this works for me. I dont like the ribbon touching the cake anyways, so having the back be contact paper is better safety-wise. Can you tell I am somewhat anal about safety?

bebea Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 15

i have only done ribbon on one or two cakes (long ago, no pics icon_sad.gif ) but i just waited until the last minute to add the ribbon. that gave the icing plenty of time to crust. have also done several w/ paper designs and used the same process w/ great results.

tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 15

I do cakes with ribbon almost on a weekly basis...All you got to understand is that the ribbon as soon as it has soak all the grease, will turn a shade darker, but you won be able to see the grease..Just takes a few hours for the grease to soak in and be even all around.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakelady232 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 15

I am using this on 24 6" cakes. I think the contact paper sounds good but tedious. Edna.....I think you are correct. Just need a lighter color ribbon.

Teekakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakelady232

I am using this on 24 6" cakes. I think the contact paper sounds good but tedious. Edna.....I think you are correct. Just need a lighter color ribbon.

The contact paper is not tedious IMO. You simply cut a piece of clear contact paper large enough to hold all 24 pieces of ribbon~~pull paper off of contact paper~~stick strips of ribbon onto the sticky side of contact paper~~cut out. It is fast and it is easy to do.

Some ribbons will not soak up any grease at all. Especially if you let the frosting crust over well before placing the ribbon on.

tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 15

I make cakes with ribbons every week..I never used a ribbon that won't soak, unless we are talking plastic..All the cakes that have ribbon in my website they are just added with nothing in the back. The only thing that happens is that you have to know it will get a shade darker.. But my buttercream crust and all of them soak..
The only ribbons that dont soak are the ones that they make specially for this, and I find the price is not worth the issue..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 15

Hey Edna............that is interesting! I wonder if the ones I have done soak quicker than I can see it happening. StraaaAAAAAaaaaange icon_lol.gif
If anyone should know about it, you certainly should! However, I honestly have not seen my ribbon soaking up grease.
Hmmm, now you know I am going to have to go smear some frosting out onto wax paper, let it crust over, lay some ribbon on it and see what happens! icon_lol.gif
My fondant candle experiment is setting up as I type........what's one more experiment! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 15

It really depends on the ribbons..some of them soak faster than others.. For example, satin ones soak faster than the harder ones they use in florist arrangments.. Usually some will start looking blotchy in a couple of minutes, but usually by next day, the grease have soaked in completely in all of them. Transparent ribbons (like organza) wont show the difference in color or the grease soak as much..

If you are working with a ribbon that has wired in it, your best bet is to pull the wire out so the ribbon lays flat.

Now, if you are doing a cake that is last minute and you are putting a ribbon around, yes sometimes you will feel that it will never get covered completely with the grease. So is that the issue, a last minute cake...the trick I do with those, is I take a brush damped in water and brush the ribbon to even out the color.. It works like a charm..

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hey Edna............that is interesting! I wonder if the ones I have done soak quicker than I can see it happening. StraaaAAAAAaaaaange icon_lol.gif
If anyone should know about it, you certainly should! However, I honestly have not seen my ribbon soaking up grease.
Hmmm, now you know I am going to have to go smear some frosting out onto wax paper, let it crust over, lay some ribbon on it and see what happens! icon_lol.gif
My fondant candle experiment is setting up as I type........what's one more experiment! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now..what is the fondant candle experiment... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

Ditto...and it makes it stiff and stands right up flush to the cake..no sagging, no little areas where it sin't straight....perfection!

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #15 of 15

I did the wedding cake with the orchids and wrapped with black ribbon in my photos, and when I got it to work for the person to pick up, I sat down and under the flurescent lights, I noticed grease spots, and it was on the cake overnight. But you really couldnt tell under normal lighting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%