How Do You Do Cake? Pans?

Decorating By JenLGAJ Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm by __Jamie__

JenLGAJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 10

What system do you use???
Do you use 2" pans and bake 2 cakes and have 2 layers?
1 - 3" pan and torte into 2-3 layers

I bought some 3" pans which I love and was going to try just using one cake and torting it in three.... will this be enough?
What about collaring??? I'm not sure if this is as easy as it reads??

I'd love to hear what others are doing! icon_smile.gif

TIA!

9 replies
beachcakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know about others, but i use 2 - 2" pans and fill in between. No torting involved. (For a wedding I would torte each layer since it looks elegant).

PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 10

I torte everything, and I have a mix of 2" and 3" pans that I use for different things. If I use a 3", I torte twice, ending with 3 cake layers. If I use 2 2" pans, I torte each of those layers once, ending up with 4 cake layers.

punkinpie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 10

I have three inch tall pans. I torte twice to give me three layers. Personally I prefer the look of a taller cake. I do wish I had two 2 inch pans so I could do four layers.

JenLGAJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 10

thanks! How much do you fill the 3" pans??? Do you use a core or flower nail?
I baked a 3" by 6" cake and filled it 2/3... took a long time to bake but it baked up perfectly... maybe thats because it was only 6"?
I love the flat sides I get with the 3" pans.

PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLGAJ

thanks! How much do you fill the 3" pans??? Do you use a core or flower nail?
I baked a 3" by 6" cake and filled it 2/3... took a long time to bake but it baked up perfectly... maybe thats because it was only 6"?
I love the flat sides I get with the 3" pans.

All of my recipes are different... some I get more rise out of than others, so I don't have a set rule as to how much batter, but 2/3 is a good general guideline. I don't use any flower nails, heating cores or baking strips... never have... don't see the need. I just lower the temp and bake a little longer. Even a large cake with come out perfect.

mashmellow Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 10

Most of the time I have trouble baking with the 3"pans, for me is easier to do the 2" and just do 2 leyers filling in the middle, or just tort each leyer, to get 4 leyers.

mashmellow Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

Most of the time I have trouble baking with the 3"pans, for me is easier to do the 2" and just do 2 leyers filling in the middle, or just tort each leyer, to get 4 leyers.

kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 10

Definitely two 2" pans/layers.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 10

Yep...when I need a new cake pan, I buy two identical ones. 2 pans for each tier....no torting fro me. Makes for much smoother sides. But...I am going to torte here and there when I need to , for certain orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%